How can I deal with my mom guilt tripping me over having sex with my boyfriend?

I recently lost my virginity to my boyfriend. And when I first started having sex with my boyfriend, I lied to my parents and said I was going to be working an overnight shift at work because I knew how they would react. My boyfriend didn't like that my parents were being lied to, so I started being honest and for a little bit I felt better being honest. I would tell my parents I was going to spend the night at his house. Not that it's their business, but half of the time we don't have sex. Recently I got a UTI from having sex with my boyfriend. I work in the medical field so I know a UTI when I see one. We always use protection but I took a pregnancy test to make sure I wasn't pregnant even though I was 99% sure I wasn't pregnant. I was self diagnosing myself and I am paranoid so I knew it could be anything. Anyways, she found the pregnancy test info that was in the box that I carelessly left in plain sight. She didn't even give me a chance to say that of course we are using protection, but I knew it could be anything. Now every time I say I am going to spend time with my boyfriend, she does a fake laugh and says how I am going to get a UTI again. And when I don't go to his house and I stay home, she does this thing where she kind of congratulates me. My mom is also a huge gossip so I am convinced she has told the entire town. I would love to move but I can't right now.

410

Most Helpful Guy

• While your mom seems to be hinting a little immaturity, I can understand her attitude. You lied to her, and you had sex with your boyfriend (likely out of wedlock, which I'm guessing your mom didn't like). Oh, and you got a UTI. So, yeah. I can understand her not feeling good about you right now. She crossed the line gossiping to the entire town, though. The only thing I'd suggest is start saving some money and move out. That's what you should've done anyways before you had sex with your boyfriend. You're 18. The fact that you did all that while living with your parents means you had it coming. You're supposed to be making good decisions now that you are legally an adult (at least in all of US, if you weren't already at 16), but you're not.

• I understand her being worried. But I just started sex and it's completely normal if not expected, for a woman to get a UTI when she just lost her virginity. Doctor's call it honeymoon cystitis. Why do you think I lied to her? I only lied to her because I've known my mother for 20 years and I knew exactly how she would react. Me being honest about this does not and will not make a difference in how she feels. I don't give two shits about her not liking me having premarital sex. What I don't like is her thinking she actually has an opinion on this. Obviously I would save up and move out if I could. But I'm saving money for nursing school and nursing school will always come first.

• The hell? You weren't supposed to get mho. This fuckin site I swear

• Well, EXCUSE me!

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I’d call her out on it. It doesn’t have to be aggressive, but just that you’re trying to maintain your adult privacy while still being honest with them and that seems to have generated this new form of slut shaming behaviour. I’m sure she doesn’t mean it like that, and is just trying to joke around but it’s not funny and you shouldn’t be made to feel like you’re doing anything wrong