Why did he lose interest in me after I injured myself?

This guy I’ve known (but hadn’t seen in a while) for about 7 years told me that he saw me as more than a friend and thought "we'd be great together" since we have so much in common. I explained to him that I was returning to college in January in a new curriculum after some time off (due to illness in my family) and that I needed time to get settled before I started thinking about a relationship. He was really understanding, but asked if we could remain close friends with the possibility of something happening in the future. I agreed.

For a couple of months things were really great; we spent every day off that we had together and texted frequently.

Fast forward to January of this year. I injured myself... badly. I could barely walk, and doctors couldn’t give me a definitive answer. It took 4 months before a neurologist diagnosed me with a huge herniated disc which had been causing extreme pain in my back, and numbness from my thigh down.

During this time, he kept asking me to hang out, and I kept telling him I was unable to and the reasons why. Eventually, he just stopped texting me and started posting memes on social media about low quality women and how it’s so hard to find a trustworthy woman these days, etc. Just a few months before, he was talking about how much he liked me and wanted to date me.

Like what the hell? At no point did I blow him off. I explained many times that I wanted to hang out, but couldn’t because of the pain. I told him that as soon as I’m better, I will. But I honestly don’t think he believes me. Now he ignores me and keeps whining to his friends and family on Facebook about how hard it is to be single.

At this point, I’m more concerned with my upcoming friggin back surgery to be upset. But I am really confused as to why he started acting like such a jerk. How can I go out galavanting with him around town when I need my mother to walk me to the toilet?

What do you think is his reason for acting this way? I’m so confused. 🤷‍♀️

13

Most Helpful Guy

• You answered your question and that's he doesn't believe you, and if he truly liked you he would come and see you and actually tried to convince you to allow him to come and see you and help in anyway possible. The guy sounds extremely desperate and is just tired of "waiting" and is now reminiscing on the past of what he once had. Just move on it ain't worth the time or effort in my opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Good grief. Good on you for focusing on YOU instead of that dork.

I think that he showed his true colors by posting such negative things and vague posting.