How do relationships happen?

You know when people ask if you're in a relationship? I'm not particularly bothered by the question as I am legitimately curious as to what they mean. I get asked if I met someone, as if it's only a matter of course- and by the sound of it, it does seem it's generally that way for a lot of people.

A friend asked me if I ever had a girlfriend, and I told him I'm not a very social person. But he disclaimed that even shy people tend to meet someone (which is actually kind of true). I have friends who wouldn't seem like they'd attract girls, but they still had relationships regardless.

My question is, is there some sort of protocols which makes people simply end up in relationships in natural order? Basically, it's assumed it sort of happens. I don't understand how that works.

01