Are many native Latins controlling?

I've been going out on a couple dates with a Guatemalan. He's still learning English meanwhile I'm catching up with some Spanish phrases and short sentences.

I've never dated a native Latin but heard there is a stereotype that they come from a patriarchal society and can turn controlling whenever they don't get their ways, unlike our white men here.

Is this true? I'm obviously going to walk away at the first sign of controlling behaviors but I've never dated someone from elsewhere before.
Updates:
I know some countries in Latin America, there is this Machismo still (chauvinism) going on.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yea your definitely buying into a stereotype. No not all Latinos are machis that have to have their way. Majority of them bend backwards to please their women (seen this personally). Obviously since he is from another country you might have some culture differences. Also l wouldn’t be so quick to defend your home men considering a lot of your white men hate that “BS feminist“ talk about the modern day patriarch. Unless he’s super left most white dudes don’t subscribe to that.

0|0
    0|0
  • You mean Latino no?
    Latin European guys aren't controlling (most aren't) women though are.
    For Latino I think it's more a stereotype than anything but I never meet one in real life so I can't say for sure.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm going to see how it goes. My friends and family are a bit leery about it and are telling me to be careful.

• I hope it go well :)

• Latinos* Latin was a language over 2000 years ago

Anyways all people from ex fascist or communist countries are somewhat controlling

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm going to see how things go.

• Actually now that i thought about it... yes they are more controlling than average had some girl friends that were dating Latinos and they always were tense around them

• yeah my friends and family are telling me to be careful
      I'll be on the lookout for any signs.

Recommended myTakes