A person with mental retardation likes me, can I date them?

She likes me and wants to go out with me.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to be sure you're actually prepared for that. People in that position need a lot of stability. When things vary from what is expected they have a hard time processing why it would have changed. And it's all too easy to blame yourself for problems when you can't figure out the real reasons. People do that all the time. I'm not even sure how you could exit a relationship with someone like that and not totally ruin their life. They'll never be able to understand your reasons. I think I would probably take her out but keep it only as friends and make sure she knows that too.

0|0
    0|0
    • What if I start having feelings?

• Show All
    • I'll be sure to, I'm already friends with her parents and they think she'd be okay.

• Well as long as everyone involved agrees the potential harm would not be total devastation then I'd say go for it. Just lead the relationship along slowly, for both of your sakes.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as you are kind and patient with her, and don't take advantage, absolutely.

I have a close friend who is mentally disabled to an extent (she holds down a job and can live relatively independently). She dreams of getting married someday.

0|0
    0|0
    • The one I'm talking about lives with her parents, but they like me

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Before you date Before you think about dating her you need to educate yourself. People don't use mental retardation because it hurts people's feelings. intellectual disability (ID) is less harsh. Know what you're getting yourself into. This person you like will need stability and honesty. No game playing. You might not be ready for that committment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Interesting. Good question. I'm not sure. Because those people are capable of showing love, bit you also don't want to take advantage of them

0|0
    0|0
    • No I don't, I actually really care for her

Recommended myTakes