How does one deal with other people’s view of age gaps?

Just not sure how to go about dating as an older guy.

So I’m 26 and going to uni. I’m surrounded by cute girls, most of them in their teens. Certainly the ones I would want to date are. I don’t have a problem with age gaps, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to navigate around other peoples view of me — whatever people’s problem with age gaps is.
I'm referring more to approaching people and getting into relationships that would have an age gap, as opposed to being in a relationship already and having to deal with negative opinions.

52

Most Helpful Girl

• The age gap between 19-22 and a 26 year old is wide. lol! Even though it is only about 6 years give or take a year. lol!

But since you are in their environment (school), I do not see it being such a big thing to someone younger than you. That you are going to the same school should make the gap negligible, I would expect.

Do you really think it is an issue for you? Not to be mean, but maybe they just have not been interested and it had nothing to do with your age? Just wondering...

• I don't know how much of an issue it's going to be. I'm trying to build some familiarity and escalate smoothly but nothing is really out in open yet, so I can't say if they have a problem with age yet. I'm just worried moving forward.

I just lost a girlfriend and the friendship our relationship came from because she decided her parents wouldn't approve (of the age gap) and she wanted to protect that relationship at all costs. So after that and trying to gauge how the girls around me see me is making me insecure about it.

Another fear is that I've been assigned the role of 'just friends' from the start because they see me as too old and I don't even know it. Maybe the only reason talk to me or feel comfortable around me at all is because they think I'm totally platonic.

I'm terrified that it's all going to blow up in my face and all because *other* people have a stick up *their* butt.

• I think because you are going to school with them the age difference will not be such a big deal.

I know it is easy to get caught up in wondering what may happen but maybe you should forget about what could happen and just take it day by day.

Get to know some of your classmates - male and female. Hang out with them socially. I really think the age gap will not be such a big deal.

The friend zone thing is probably a bigger concern as it is for must men... unfortunately. :( I feel for you guys, I really do.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I am interested to hear more about your experiences with this.

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as you date girls over 18 you don't need to explain shit