Why do some girls act like I'm getting away with something by dating attractive girls?

I don't consider myself to be conventionally handsome, like no one is going to mistake me for being a male model. But I do have several things going for me physically, and I am fortunate to have a lot of girls interested in dating me. I've never had huge confidence in my looks, so it took me until college to fully realize that beautiful women weren't always smiling at me because they were mocking me. In fact, my first serious girlfriend asked me out. I couldn't bring myself to ask her because she was so pretty that I thought she was out of my league.

What confuses me is that some girls seem to get actually mad at seeing me dating really beautiful girls, like they don't think I deserve to be with them or something. One girl I was friends with in college actually ended our relationship when she found out I was dating a girl she thought I wasn't well-matched with. It's not like I had to trick these girls into dating me. They're with me because they want to be.

2