What to do when you make more money than your partner?

My boyfriend is still in school and will be for a while longer. I have a small business--nothing crazy, but I do ok for myself. He's quitting his job to focus on school full-time. It's going to be summer soon, and he already let me know we can't really do things that cost money. That bummed me out, as it means that unless I pay for everything, we won't really be able to do anything. I don't mind splitting the tab or even paying for all of it at times, but I ain't no money bags sugar mama either lol and have a lot of my own expenses I need to cover. I also have a weird fear of being used for money. What should I do about this?

3378

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on how the imbalance impacts you, I’ve always been very sensitive towards this topic. However, what that sensitivity ends up doing, is simply makes me cautious about meeting a new girl, dating for example, but I’ve never experienced a girlfriend I felt took advantage of me, in fact, they were all just as cautious, and never made me feel weird, which in turn, just made me more generous, because they were all students and it is what it is, it really depends on how he reacts, it should bother him a little and make him a little uncomfortable, but so long as he isn’t trying to take advantage, I don’t see how it could be an issue

Most Helpful Girl

• We don't usually do anything that costs money (except buy food). I don't really find it to be a problem, because we enjoy doing free things. If you really want to do something costly, pay for it, and if you don't, come up with free things to do. Especially during the summer just hanging out outside, going to the beach, going swimming, going hiking etc is fun and free.

• I used to jog around 17 Mile Drive and park in the boondocks where there’s free parking. Can’t beat the cliffs or the Carmel sand.

PSA: Rich people didn’t become rich by spending a lot when they couldn’t afford it. My grandmother’s friend would drive across town to use a coupon or for cheaper gas, thereby negating the actual savings with a show of savings and a show of money wasting. (When someone becomes rich, they’ll understand ostentatious money-wasting is a fashion: driving a car that’s expensive to maintain and breaks a lot, spending half a million on booze at a party, outbidding for some art, commissioning a stupid-expensive, ugly, outdoor sculpture, wearing a Versace shirt once and giving to Goodwill... because they can afford it.)

• @shots-shots-shots. I'm live in the area described amongst some of those you've mentioned. There's a difference between new and old money. Spending beyond your means is foolish , just the same as spoiling yourself with a false image. Those who can afford to remain in that area , buy into the communilty lifestyle and it's offerings. Although , you don't have to be rich to enjoy the area at large as you've mentioned. Santa Cruz was my play ground when I was young , then back across the bay I went. a lot of people when i was young thought i was single and homeless , the image that reflected for some. There's a eloquent balance between an artifitial image that prompts some to feel as if money is what makes them happy or happy makes them money. Then agian , state of mind and stable conquest forward over state of status or false imaging , especially in search of an s/o , is what differentiates those concerned with an agenda of attraction for monetary purposes vs the upright.