CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAD WHY MY EX IS ACTING INSANE? WE DONT EVEN LIVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY?

I live in North Europe. My EX boyfriend also lives in north Europe but in another country. We have known each other for a while but only been together for a coupe of months. In April i decided to travel to his country because it was my cousin birthday and some days after that my plan was to be with my ex. When my cousin left and flew back to her country I stayed. My ex had promised me that he would pay for hotel if I stayed two extra days so we could be together. When this day came he started to say that it would be better for me to go back to my country because it was not working out between us. I was then stuck in his country for two days because i did not have enough money to buy a new ticket to my country. He told me the reason for why he broke up was because he did not want a girly girl as a girlfriend and that I am that. And that I easily get scared and that if something would happen to be that I would be too weak to defend my self. We spoke about it I cried and told him that I loved him and then it ended. I told him that if he go there is no return he then said you never know if god brings us back together. I told him to never contact me again. He has during 1 month time called me 30 times and texted me 9 times. I have not responded. He wrote that he dont want me back and that the only reason he calls me is because he wants to be on good grounds with me because i have not done him anything bad. couple of days ago he also texted me out of no where that he loves me and that he is sorry for what he has done, that he can't go through the process of doing what he did with me to other girls. He also messaged my friend telling her that he loves me and that he has tried to forget me by being with other girls he wrote that i am his other half and that he wants her to convince me to talk to him again. He has only called me 3 times after this happened. My question is? why did he do all of this out of nowhere? And why did have i not heard anything more from him?

12