Long distance relationship: what to do when you run out of things to talk about?

My boyfriend of 8 months and I live about 2 hours apart. I took the semester off and he is currently still in college, while I’ll be returning in the fall, we only see each other about once a week at this point. We usually talk throughout the day between classes and work. Our conversations happen slowly throughout the day. Ie I’ll message him when I wake up, and I’ll usually hear back when he gets out of class around 10am, I’ll reply and then it could be a couple hours before he gets to answer. We usually have bigger conversations late at night when we are both done for the day. Sometimes when we haven’t been up to much during the day we run out of things to talk about and we both stumble to try and make conversation, but one or the other of us usually ends up saying goodnight and heading to bed. How do you find things to talk about? We don’t have this issue when we are together, just when the distance hits us and we haven’t had much interesting going on to discuss.

02