I feel like there is a power imbalance in my relationship and I am too dependent. How do I change?

I have been with my boyfriend for about four years now. And during all that time, I always felt like I wanted this relationship more than he did. It started with the fact that it took him two years to actually acknowledge to other people that we were a couple. It bothered me, but I loved him so much I stayed with him anyways. He wasn't sleeping with anyone else, but when asked, he would say he was single. I often feel powerless when I am with him.

He always makes me feel like he is allowing me to see him and not that he actually wants it himself. He never texts of his own devices, and if I don't explicitly ask him a question, he will not respond. He can be very loving and caring, but then the next second, he demands we don't see each other for a week because he needs space.

When we are fighting, I usually feel like he started it or is at least overreacting. But it always ends the same way, with him threaening to leave me, and me crying and saying I will change. The thing is, I am pretty sure there is nothing I can change, he would just get upset anyways. Clearly, and unfortunately I am very emotionally dependent on him. How can I change that? Because it is really starting to exhaust me.

19

Most Helpful Guy

• I had a girlfriend a bit like that. I was the one who made efforts to adjust to all our differences. At some point I told her it was taking a toll on me and that she needed to make efforts too, if it was to be a fair relationship. And I told her that I'd like to see a clear improvement 6 months in the future.
    6 months later, things hadn't changed and I left her despite being so deeply in love.

Most Helpful Girl

• 😶
    There is so many wrong things to that I don’t know where to begin.