Do you ever think about being single forever?

I'm 18 and introverted and quiet. I know I shouldn't ever date because I don't like opening up to people about things or feel like I'm being attacked. I don't have the desire to be a mom or wife. The guy I liked left me for a bubbly model who seemed to have everything at her feet. It kind of made me realize how shitty dating made me feel. I grew up with a teenage single mom. It was tough dealing with someone going through the motions of childhood. My dad refused to pay child support and abandoned me. He died from AIDS, crack and drinking. I didn't know him very well, so I don't get sad about it. My whole life has been a crazy crazy ride. But I always try to see the bigger picture and stay optimistic. Even though some days it's hard. I couldn't imagine introducing a guy to my family and I don't always feel good about myself. I don't have any family besides my mom because they abused her really badly. Every since I let him in and trusted him, he violated it. He gossiped about me, spread rumors, lied, etc. He's some rich preppy boy who doesn't know anything about life. I don't ever want to like or date anyone if that's how dating is. I'll leave the rep spoiled rich lovers to themselves. As bitter as it sounds, I can't have kids. My kids would have a better childhood than I ever did and I'd envy them and feel sad.

1245

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh I think about it sometimes but then I remember that I don't want to be alone forever. Today the urge to date people is annoyingly strong, I just got one heart I am afraid to give it to anyone for fear they will not want it because they think they don't deserve it and feel like a victim of their own mind (or maybe they will just break it to feel better about themselves). Of course I am not much better but I do hope that I can be good enough and try to find a way to be better (I have my doubts about myself and what I am supposed to do).

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve had to go through in your life. People can be so cruel and thoughtless. No child should have to grow up like that.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to remain single. I think about it all the time. So many people act like being a single woman is some kind of weakness; I personally believe the exact opposite... the weakness is in those who feel incomplete without a significant other. We need to learn how to be content within ourselves, and to not depend on others for our happiness.

Live your life in whatever way is gonna make you happy and will help you recover from the pain of the past. Be independent. Be a little selfish. But most importantly, don’t let what other people say/do get you down. I know it’s easier said than done, but take it from me... letting go of all the anger and hurt is the best kind of freedom.

I hope this has helped a bit, and I pray you find some happiness 😊