Do you ever think about being single forever?

I'm 18 and introverted and quiet. I know I shouldn't ever date because I don't like opening up to people about things or feel like I'm being attacked. I don't have the desire to be a mom or wife. The guy I liked left me for a bubbly model who seemed to have everything at her feet. It kind of made me realize how shitty dating made me feel. I grew up with a teenage single mom. It was tough dealing with someone going through the motions of childhood. My dad refused to pay child support and abandoned me. He died from AIDS, crack and drinking. I didn't know him very well, so I don't get sad about it. My whole life has been a crazy crazy ride. But I always try to see the bigger picture and stay optimistic. Even though some days it's hard. I couldn't imagine introducing a guy to my family and I don't always feel good about myself. I don't have any family besides my mom because they abused her really badly. Every since I let him in and trusted him, he violated it. He gossiped about me, spread rumors, lied, etc. He's some rich preppy boy who doesn't know anything about life. I don't ever want to like or date anyone if that's how dating is. I'll leave the rep spoiled rich lovers to themselves. As bitter as it sounds, I can't have kids. My kids would have a better childhood than I ever did and I'd envy them and feel sad.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh I think about it sometimes but then I remember that I don't want to be alone forever. Today the urge to date people is annoyingly strong, I just got one heart I am afraid to give it to anyone for fear they will not want it because they think they don't deserve it and feel like a victim of their own mind (or maybe they will just break it to feel better about themselves). Of course I am not much better but I do hope that I can be good enough and try to find a way to be better (I have my doubts about myself and what I am supposed to do).

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve had to go through in your life. People can be so cruel and thoughtless. No child should have to grow up like that.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to remain single. I think about it all the time. So many people act like being a single woman is some kind of weakness; I personally believe the exact opposite... the weakness is in those who feel incomplete without a significant other. We need to learn how to be content within ourselves, and to not depend on others for our happiness.

Live your life in whatever way is gonna make you happy and will help you recover from the pain of the past. Be independent. Be a little selfish. But most importantly, don’t let what other people say/do get you down. I know it’s easier said than done, but take it from me... letting go of all the anger and hurt is the best kind of freedom.

I hope this has helped a bit, and I pray you find some happiness 😊

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 44

• The secret is, one day there's going to be that 1 extrovert guy, who's still a bit introvert, that he can get you, and balance you out,
    Because he was introvert once, and another girl help him
    so when you say no one can understand,
    there is always that one who can

0|0
    0|0
  • Just sounds like your lost with every turn giving you more misery. But hold out and maybe in 10 years you'll bump into a nerdy shy boy. And in short conversations things will build until you both learn to trust and develops the last friendship you will ever need. But until then try to keep a smile to your face and a hope in your dreams that one day things won't be bad forever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I worry about being single forever sometimes because I too am introverted and not very good at the whole dating thing. Sounds like you had a bad experience, I did too in my one relationship that I've had. Despite the bad experience I still try to keep as positive of an outlook as I can, and still hope I can find that special girl and fall in love. Try to stay positive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Listen, not all guys are like that. There are some jerks out there that really are assholes. There are nice guys that will treat you amazingly and you could be happy with. You will find someone who loves you for you. There are also guys who don't want to start a family, so it's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been married my entire life and now I'm recently single. It sucks. Dating is not like use to be and I'm not that good at it. What have I learned? You have to put yourself out there. Eventually the right person will come along. You're young and have plenty of time to find that special person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its ok to reject relationships, i personally will never have one again but for other reasons. I physically can't have kids, and I'm very inconsistent with how open i am. If you think that it's right for you, then don't pursue anything. But if something feels right, if you ever think that you've found that special someone, then go for it. Ours better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Opening up to others might make you feel uncomfortable , but finding the right person can make you feel better and safe. That's when you should start thinking about family and all. And no one said about raising a family or kids alone. Why do that when you have someone you love with you every step of the way. Be happy , wait for your moment to come.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I feel like if I'm ever to date again, it has to be with an introvert like myself. Who understands precisely all you talked about

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe you just need to give yourself some more time, maybe get back into the dating game with people who are more mature and have more of their life together later in life, also it's ok to not want to have children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I'm not interested in look a girlfriend, it's not important.
    I don't want a girlfriend because look her, might make me lose my time, that I can use to do something of more interesting

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• It sounds like you mostly don't want to get into relationships because you aren't used to closeness with people being fulfilling and positive. Trusting people does'nt come easily to everyone. I myself have opened up many times to people, and then felt ashamed or attacked. With time I have learned that I feel lonely when I am myself against the world, and learnt how to share people in a way that makes me feel good. Your love to youself will come hand in hand with your learning of loving others.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you change your mind just do it before you are like my age. I asked a question on here and found, guys can be really judgmental. Some of them assume things just because you are single. I don't think you will always feel this way. However if you do. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If I did I'd be a hypocrite since I'm happily single all 37 years of life.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you can't say anything about 'forever', but I do think it is a good idea to focus on other things than getting a relationship right now. You are still young, a lot can change in the future.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its normal to feel like this but it gets better if you open up to seeing and meeting up with people you might just find someone I even if its 30yrs later. Don't think about it or give your heart to strangers (it breaks easily and isn't easy to repair) but love with your mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only briefly skimmed what you wrote but enjoy being all alone - it’s not a bad life at all it’s actually great. You’ll find someone eventually in th mean time revel in the fact you’re alone

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely, but i want lots of animals and I think I might adopt. I also think about being in a relationship though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think, I know

0|0
    0|0
    • Also I'm totally know how you feel I'm kinda going through the same thing myself right and just feel like giving up.

Everyone says "one day" and I know that day never coming and every time someone says that it hurts even more. I know it hurts especially when you're not one to open up and that person takes advantage of it when you do it makes you go back into that shell again were you can't trust anyone because of fear of getting hurt.

Trust me that guy isn't worth your time unfortunately young men theses days are extremely stupid and are selfish as fuck. Put hopefully I'm wrong and someone grate will come along in your life.

• Soz for the spelling and grammar

• Yeah i do

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup. It’s alright if you like yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes