Me and my girlfriend have quite a few common interests but I absolutely hate some of hers. How do I cope?

So it's been almost a year. We love one another it's just some small things that she likes that makes me all judgy and I can't control it. She follows the Kardashians, listens to Taylor swift, watches bad TV like 13 reasons why, and pewdiepie YouTube vlogs. And it kills me to be around when she's is doing it. But on the other hand overall I like her taste in music, and she watches a lot of actually good things, like documentaries, and interesting TV shows. I feel like she is mostly okay with the things I like that suck but I can't return the favor no matter how hard I try. I just hate it so much, what can I do? I need advice.
It's been like this before about smoking. I hate cigarettes and when she smoked I would just not want to talk to her. But I coped pretty badly, now I just force myself to smoke with her when she really must smoke... And try to get her to quit. Now she mostly quit. Good. But I can't do the same with hobbies she doesn't need to change that you know, she should not even be expected to.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• For every Kardashian/Taylor Swift/stupid shit she watches, thats a hobby you get to have that she doesn't need to like. Look at it as an opportunity to do your own thing that interests you.

• Optimistic and true. But I usually only notice them when we are together and I have nothing really else to do but interrupt her, pretend to listen about the Kardashians or play on my phone. Makes the mood weird.

• So really not to sound like a dick, but should I say that even if it's bs and she knows it because she knows me well enough to know I don't respect her interest in the Kardashians? Will I come across as fake? Also do you think it is rude or selfish to request that she doesn't do those things when I'm trying to spend time with her? Or is that too controlling or rude? Thanks I think it's fair to ask to talk about something else, I will try that one.

• I think it's perfectly ok to tell her it doesn't interest you as long as you do it tactfully. Just express it in a way that you'd want her to if you were going on and on about something she wasn't interested it

Most Helpful Girl

• Can't you do something you enjoy/find important while she is watching her shows? No one obliges you to like everything she likes and that's fine.

• Yeah I agree but usually I can just go do something else it's the times we are together after being apart that it's like that. And I know I'm not obligated to like her stuff but I can at least find a way to cope with it so I'm not a dick.

• Have you tried avoiding talking about it?
      Or just tell her that you would rather not hear about those shows/artists. I guess she wouldn't mind.