Why do people think that being single is a choice?

3360

Most Helpful Guy

• Because usually it is... think about how easy it is, to find “just anyone” with no conditions, no preferences, just allowing yourself to be available to anyone... how many seconds would it take for you, or me, or whomever, to find a “taker?”
    Maybe 10 seconds? Maybe 30?

Part of what makes “being single a choice” is ones own requirements, conditions, filters, willingness to let others know you are available, etc...:your own behavior is the biggest reason, as nobody can read your mind, everyone else interprets you, by how you behave, and single people who think, the reason they are single, is because of lack of interest of others to notice you? Bullshit

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not? So if a random guy asks me out, I don't get to say "No"? I'm automatically his? That's not fair! What if I'm getting ready to move to another country, and don't have time to get to know him? I can't just take him with me, and I'm not going on a long trip with a stranger I barely know, that's crazy and unsafe! I can't afford to come back and visit him all the time, and I don't do long distance. This is really inconvenient!
    Why didn't anyone tell me that I don't get to decide how to live my life?

What if it's a woman? I'm in support of all sexualities, but I'm not into women like that! Now you're telling me that I don't get to choose to say "No"?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • what if you've never been given the chance to turn a guy down? Is it a choice then?

• YOU aren't choosing to be single, you're choosing to seek out a relationship. You made that choice. You could choose not to look, but you actually want a relationship. Not everyone wants that.