Are blind dates a good idea?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Unless you just like the element of surprise itself, they are usually a really bad idea. Why? Because when you know someone beforehand, you've already vetted them. You've gone through the selection process, built rapport and found some things out that give you topics to talk about. You also know if this person is sane and more or less attractive. On a blind date, none of this guaranteed. And the one option you have is preparing a good out in case you really can't handle the person who you've been set up with.

2|0
    0|0
    • Oh, and people are not likely to find a person who truly fits you. It's like with fragrances and clothes. They almost always get it wrong.

Most Helpful Guy

• They can be if you know who is setting you up and if they have you in mind when doing it. I’m very particular and unless the person knows me and my quarks a blind date isn’t going to work for the most part. But I have been on a few and I’ve met some nice women.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 42

• Speaking from experience, no.

Years ago, someone set me up on a blind date. It was a disaster. I didn't like him at all. As soon as he started talking i knew i didn't like him. He was an awful arrogant person , and i could tell that just by his first few sentences. I stayed for the rest of the date just to give a fair chance to get to know him, but the more time i spent with him, the more i disked him

0|1
    0|0
  • To me absolutely not. I've only been on one and it was a nightmare. The guy was really creepy and kept asking me to come back to his house, which wasn't even his house but his parents house. He wanted me to see his dogs (his parents dogs)! He got really angry when I said I wanted to go home. He kept asking why and asking me to go back to his place over and over. He was pissed and I was totally freaked out. I couldn't wait to get away from him. I wouldn't recommend it!

0|1
    0|0
  • Not usually, some can work out. You have no idea about anything for the person. It can go super wrong, be super uncomfortable and things can end really badly.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have been in one and it was awesome
    I really liked the guy and we kept dating.. but we were talking for almost a year
    So I guess it depends on how well you know the other person

0|0
    0|0
  • Can be, but usually it’s an overzealous friend who just wants to fix people up because they’re “perfect for each other” and they are anything but

1|0
    0|0
  • I would only go on a blind date if someone I trust set it up for me. But still, you can never know who you're going on a date with and it can be extremely awkward. I do suggest at least giving it a try though. Just be careful!

0|2
    0|0
  • Yeah I think so. It is a chance to meet someone who you match with. However, the disadvantage is the expectation of a relationship is high, and friendship is regarded less important.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are what you make of them. if you just go into it with an open mind that you’re meeting a new person to talk with, it can be great.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's like. A friend of mine knows this friend who think it's gonna be a good match then maybe. But usually. I don't know. Maybe not so?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, as long as good friends (who know you) are setting you up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they are, but it also depends on the person

0|0
    0|0
  • I would never do that because I’m too picky to go out with someone, what if I won’t like my date? My night would just be ruined

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that it has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you like to risk and try something new, you can go for this.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but the person should know the person they are setting you up pretty well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if it's set up by someone you know who knows them

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's forcing people together and for every success story there will be 20 horrid experiences

0|0
    0|1
  • only if you do background checks on that person

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, no.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends.. it could work.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, ugly most of them.

1|0
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 51

• With all the tech out there how in the world could anybody still go on a blind date? This isn't 1979... come on now... I feel like I am being punked over here.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's relative to how you are and also how the other one are.
    If even one of you are one of those that have hard time to connect with others or for that matter are inpatient waiting on the othe to drive the whole thing forward self absorbed it highly likely it becomes shitty.

Otherwise it's better especially if you haven't got anyone's perception of the other and are open without expectations or fast judging.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have no other dates lined up, sure it could be a bit of fun. But given the alternative of being able to choose who you date and make sure the other person meets your requirements, it is more likely to be a mismatch and it'll be awkward for whoever set you up if it didn't work out cause they thought they were doing you a favour.

0|0
    0|0
  • Am i the only person that think that blind dates are Great? It a way to get out of your comfort zone and the biggest mistake i see is what to do o the date. I find that if there's a shared activity as simple as seeing a movie before a meal or drinks works best. Now you have something to talk about

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe blind dates are good for people who are very social, who can make any bad conversation good, who can improvise, who isn't judgmental and who is really invested in wanting to know someone else.

I believe it's not so good for people who are just desperate, who isn't socially rich, judgmental, or easily offended. Conversations would end up being awkward and cringy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no experience with blind dating, just the typical "online chatting -> meeting in rl" and that went not good at all.
    Anyways.. i think its a bad idea but hey, you could probably find your soulmate. Who knows?

0|0
    0|0
  • No, scientifically speaking people women often decide if they like you within 3-10 seconds of talking to you. Having to spend a whole dinner with someone you decided no on the moment you sat down is a waste of time.

0|0
    0|0
  • No chance in hell I want to see her before I consider dating her. If she is unattractive I would only end up excusing myself and that will be awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. You’re 19.. what do you have to lose? Should be fun. I’ve been on a few and although it’s a bit stretching, it always ended up being a good time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they can be fun but nowadays with social media and all there is no reason why you shouldn't see each other's pictures :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure. There's less expectations to perform in a crowd.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had great experiences with blind dating. Actually, my experiences with blind dating have been better than normal dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Blind people should not be discriminated against when it comes to dating!!

1|1
    0|0
  • If people want some random action in their love life the Yes blind dates are good for them.

Otherwise they always become disastrous in most cases.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say no way we each have our own prefrence and to have to suffer through a dinner or which ever so not to be rude and hurt theyer feelings SUCKS lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you can find the perfect person but it can go both ways you can also find the person that is not at all into you.. so i dont know... 50/50

0|0
    0|0
  • Bad for me since I'm hyper sensitive. Voices and energies can irritate me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd love if my friends would set me up on a few but they'd rather give me advice I didn't ask for.

0|0
    0|0
  • They work for some people. They don't work so well for shy people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. especially for guys like me who dont have the guts to ask a girl out

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes