In today's world, do men and women split the bill on dates? If not, then why is it so?

Anonymous
First a bit of a disclaimer: I have never really been on a date so far, so I have not phrased this question based on my own experiences. From what I have seen on tv and in movies, men seem to the ones who pay for the date. Is this how stuff works in real life too? I personally find it impractical as this isn't a time where women don't work: a lot of them do, and they are earning salaries similar to their male counterparts. Thus, I think it is pretty stressful on the guy for him to pay up every time, unless there is an massive difference in their incomes and he is treating her to a place she couldn't afford anyways (or vice versa, though that is rare).

+1 y
I did expect this question to stir up quite a few responses, but I had no idea that I would get these many answers! Thanks to everyone who has shared an opinion here! As someone who has never been on the dating scene ever (I am a pretty shy 18 year old), I am super pleased to see so many people share their opinions on this question.
112
66