In today's world, do men and women split the bill on dates? If not, then why is it so?

Anonymous
First a bit of a disclaimer: I have never really been on a date so far, so I have not phrased this question based on my own experiences. From what I have seen on tv and in movies, men seem to the ones who pay for the date. Is this how stuff works in real life too? I personally find it impractical as this isn't a time where women don't work: a lot of them do, and they are earning salaries similar to their male counterparts. Thus, I think it is pretty stressful on the guy for him to pay up every time, unless there is an massive difference in their incomes and he is treating her to a place she couldn't afford anyways (or vice versa, though that is rare).

In today's world, do men and women split the bill on dates? If not, then why is it so?
Updates:
+1 y
I did expect this question to stir up quite a few responses, but I had no idea that I would get these many answers! Thanks to everyone who has shared an opinion here! As someone who has never been on the dating scene ever (I am a pretty shy 18 year old), I am super pleased to see so many people share their opinions on this question.
Add Opinion