Why does it hurt so bad to lose someone you never even had?

So since March I have been friends with this guy. We started talking as more than friends in May. We talked everyday and even planned to hangout. We got along really well and talked all day and night for weeks! But since last Wednesday he had started to become distant and not text the same. Cut conversations short and not even tell me good night... I can take the hint so I haven't messaged him this morning and he hasn't messaged me. It kinda hurts though cause I got used to Talking to him everyday.. but we were never even together. Why does it hurt even though he wasn't mine?

1116

Most Helpful Guys

• I feel you. I have just gone through the same thing. My situation is way more complex and complicated though. Regardless, I texted a woman a lot for almost a year. Then absolutely nothing. It hurts and is very painful. I am going on three weeks now with no contact and I can't tell you how much it hurts. I wish I could give you some insight and help but unfortunately I can't. The best I can do is tell you to hang in there and you're not alone.

• Thank you! I hope things will work out for you as Well :)

• It happens at times. You meet people and something about them makes you feel soo good that the feelings syncs with how you feel at ease and because of that ease-like feeling you begin to get close and attach yourself - emotionally, with the other person. And even if there wasn't anything between you two, it does hurts if their behaviour changes because it's obvious, like if someone would talk to you soo nicely and do all the good stuff for you and the retreat after some time from all those things, yeah, it hurts.

Most Helpful Girls

• It happens. They say it takes half the time you were with someone to move on. In a month to two months you'll be feeling better.. Just remind yourself that you deserve better. if it's meant to be, it'll be.

I've gone through this before too. You do get past it

• Thank you! :)

• You're welcome. :)

I know. It doesn't help much now. But always remember, this too will pass.

• It hurts because you invested all of YOUR TIME on him instead of keeping your options open by dating or talking to other guys.

Don't invest more on a guy than he has invested in you. When you invest more than he does you fantasize and romantasize about who you want him to be and you lose clarity on who HE ACTUALLY IS.

Keep dating/talking to multiple guys to keep your mind clear so you can make better judgements on who is worth your time.