Do women put men in the FRIEND ZONE... or do the men put themselves there?

When a girl decides that you're her friend, you're no longer a dating option. You become this complete non-romantic entity in her eyes, like her brother, or a lamp. So if the girl doesn't like you does it really mean you are in the magical place called the Friend Zone? Nobody said you had to be friends with her? Everyone probably knows my opinion on the matter and it goes something like this:

"The Friend Zone is a psychological place in which you put yourself when you behave like a friend with the person you like, because you don't have the courage to behave otherwise."

What do you think?
  • Women do it to men
  • Men do it to themselves
  • There is no such thing as the FRIEND ZONE
    Vote C

61100

Most Helpful Girls

• Men put themselves in the friendzone with women--no contest

After I dumped my ex (for cheating on me), I started hanging out with a guy I work with who I knew liked me, but I was very verbal about not wanting a new relationship at all (not just with him, but in general). We ended up being great friends and hung out almost every weekend together, but I always made sure he and other people knew we were just friends. Then he totally started ignoring me, and started acting weird at work and smirking at me, so I've stopped being friendly back. All my friends say he's just upset that I'm not dating him, so I guess this is a problem with the "friendzone" every guy complains about

He did it to himself though. I never acted more than friendly with him. When I took him clubbing, I never danced on him (while I danced with all of my girl friends). I tried not to say suggestive things towards him in case he took it the wrong way. I never even hugged him because I didn't want him to feel like I had anything more than platonic feelings for him. When he tried to pose for me at the gym, I called him out and told him to stop. And I was explicitly clear with everyone at work who asked about us that I was NOT interested in him in any way

Now it just feels like he was a jerk the whole time just trying to get to me, and that he never wanted to be just friends (even though he gave me a whole spiel about how he would be ok with just being friends because apparently Tupac was just friends with a girl he loved or something.) I kind of wonder if he was just trying to take advantage of my delicate emotional state after breaking up with my ex. In that case, it makes him a crappy friend and means he would've been an even worse boyfriend if I actually had fallen for it. Plus I recently found out he lied to me about a bunch of stuff, worst of all claiming he quit smoking pot because of me

So I'm glad he never got out of the friendzone, but he could've just left when I told him I wasn't interested the first time (or second or hundredth...)

• He liked you, you put him in the friendzone, so he did the only thing you can do to get out. End the friendship.

• @EthanR1chards
      No. He had an option in the beginning to not pursue friendship at all when that was the only option I gave him. Women may create the friendzone, but it's men who willingly enter it. And nobody can trap you in a friendship you don't want to be a part of

• Oh and I forgot to add that I was friends with this guy for almost a year. So it's not like we were friends for a month or two. We were friends for a while and spent a lot of time together (and his daughter loved me) and he just up and started acting weird one day for no reason. I did not force him into a friendship for a whole year

• It's a mixture of both for me but it's mainly my choice. If the guy has things I know I personally don't want in my life I place him there. Or if I'm already interested in another man I place the other guy (s) in the friend zone because I focus on one man at a time. Due to respect for the man pursuing me and myself. Or sometimes I'm not looking for a relationship so I place every man there. The only time a man puts himself there with me is when he doesn't want to ruin something we have, Ior I'm with another man.

• If the man is interested in you sexually and you are with another man than what exactly would the two of you have that the man wouldn't want to ruin?

• Mostly single moms I can’t stand them as people to date but you can usually sneak in and out of them easy for mid week relief. So I’m always too busy to really go out with them or waste time

• @pipeliner78 All my friends are men lol. But my boyfriend was making money and living his own life despite trying to pursue me.

Most Helpful Guys

• Women put men there... but men choose whether to stay in the zone or dump her and focus his energies elsewhere. So, while the woman makes the initial decision, it's the guy who decides whether to put up with it or seek opportunities elsewhere.

I strongly recommend the latter, because it's exceedingly rare to get out of the Friend Zone with any particular girl.

• All these "bitch ass" men that complain about a friend zone like it's a bad thing? What even is that? What does a "friend" zone even mean to you, I mean?

Would you not want to know a woman if she isn't your family or your SO? Don't you like to have friends that have the opposite gender?

Like why not be in the friend zone? I wouldn't have lived and experienced half the life I have so far if all my friends were guys, like what even...

Do you only look at a woman and think, she'll either be a stranger to me or a lover... seriously, get real! Enough with this bullshit already!

Men and women can be friends without them having to fuck each other like animals.

Friend zone is a lovely place to be and I can gladly say I am in a couple of them and I don't mind them. Neither I nor my SO thinks me being in the "friend zone" is a bad thing.

Yes, it can argued that for someone who you like and pretend to be a friend to her, that's entirely on you for not elaborating how you feel to her. How is she supposed to know that you like her that way? If she rejects your advances and if you still remain her friend, then you need to have some respect for yourself and not continue that friendship, simple as that.

Anytime you are friends with a woman who you'd rather be intimate with is your fault, same goes for women who stay friends with men they are interested in. You are pathetic. Admit and be with them. If they don't want to be with you, have some dignity and end that friendship!

I hope I don't hear about this shit again! Pisses me off! Oh, and also, I didn't select an option in the poll because nothing clarifies what I want to say.