Do opposite attract?

Just wanted to know if this phrase actually has any validity.
Ps didn't know what category it fits into

1035

Most Helpful Guys

• Sexually it's OK to be with someone who is your opposite. What would you learn to be with a clone of yourself all your life. It's better to have a wider shared perspective on life and then the relationship will always have room to grow and so will you as individuals.

Biologically it's a fact that we seek a mate with admirable traits that we lack (for example someone who is impatient may be attracted to someone who is very patient), as a pair you genetically compliment one another.

Having opposite ideals on the other hand is a disaster waiting to happen. If you can't align your ideals the relationship will always fail eventually. People with strongly opposed world views should never plan a future together.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Yes, and No...

Yes because, let's say an Introvert guy, was dating an introvert girl. They both are shy, and quiet, so they struggle at parties, big social events etc. But now let's say the Introvert man was dating an extrovert girl, she would have the skill and desire to be able to do all the talking at these big get-togethers and she helps him socialize and makes it easy for him. So while both of them have completely different personalities, they both compliment eachother by her helping him in social situations, and him helping her with alone time and being laid back

You want to be similar when it comes to interests, hobbies and activities.

If you have opposite personalities, and similar hobbies and interests, then you will have a great long lasting relationship. In my opinion

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes and no.

A lot of times in looks, yes.
    Even certain personality traits may balance each other out and provide more exciting or interesting interaction that dating a clone of yourself. So of course it works.

However, you should have core values and views in common, in my opinion. I even question the whole "introverts and extroverts balance each other out" logic. The older I get, the more I think another extrovert would be best. And I've seen introvert couples do really well too, many even prefer that. Sure, getting out of your comfort zone can be a struggle, but the real question is how much compromise is necessary to achieve a mutual concept of peace at the end of the day. If talking and discussion soothe me, and you would rather be silent at the end of the day, I don't know... seems like more work on both ends than may be worth it. And yet I'm always fucking attracting/being attracted to introverts! *screams internally* ... or no, wait, I'm an extrovert so *screams out loud and rants about this for an hour with friends*

Political compatibility and faith (or lack thereof) are also critical for me. I have no interest in dating conservatives or moderates and once they get beyond my cuteness and flirty personality, I would most definitely be their embodiment of leftist, feminazi hell. It just wouldn't work. The hate sex might be bomb though? I don't know.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Yes but only if it's sexual attraction. People with opposite personalities struggle to remain in relationship cause they can't communicate well with eachother and they have trouble in understanding one another.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

What Guys Said 33

• In physics yes, in dating no. You need to have something in common with the other person to make a bond.

• No. This is a Fallacy. There's no hard and fast rule. In both situations that works if you're opposite or you're the same it just depends on your personality. It's all about striking and overall balance in your relationship. For example one common type interpreted is that someone dominant can get along well with someone submissive... but if both of partially dominant and partially submissive that works as well.

• Yes, they do. It creates friction, and that friction builds a delicious tension. Especially between two people who are sexually attracted to each other.

• Yes they do, very common. But you can't be with someone who is just likes you either have to get a happy median I'd say.

• It doesn't some relationship but not all can be pretty close in my relationship it does I'm dominant and my significant other is submissive so it works out real good

• Maybe in the start, but over a longer period of time, no. Obviosly this is just my very general opinion.

• If that was true I'd be fighting off the hot chicks

• No they don't. Relationships form when people have more similar traits than different ones.

• It depends on the person you're with... some people are open to more things and some people are shallow and close minded

• They attract but it is usually short-lived because you have little in common. That is my take on it.

• No. You can do research on this. This app isn't a great place for a valid answer.

• Sometimes, if you find opposite things about you attractive then yes

• Sure guys and girls. Dominant and submissive black and white so on.

• Depends, political opposites? Not at all. A organized and not so organized? Sure.

• They do first as it's nice new experience and things but eventually it's doomed to fail

• From my experience, thats a firm no.

• Yes...

• Yeah

• Yes they do

• No. I've never seen it happen.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 8

• Yes but only in science. In love there is only likes and opposites and both attract.

• Yup, i suggest you try to put two positive sides of magnet together to figure out if they will repel or attract each other.
    and also, try putting the negative and positive side of it together. Did they attract each other or not?

I hope this helps :)

• I always thought that was the case because you kind of balance each other out, but in the long term it's not a good idea. Being similar in terms of personality, values and goals will make a relationship much stronger and healthier :)

• No. I would never date the opposite of me, since that would be a christian jock... ugh.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

• Yes, but similarities are also needed.

• Depends on the people

• Yes. You learn to compromise

• Yes !!
    Shy man goes with outgoing girl
    Introverted man goes with extroverted girl
    Shy girl goes with outgoing man
    Assertive woman goes with submissive man
    Dominant man goes with submissive woman. And so on.