How does one know when they're ready to start dating again?

I was in a relationship for 5 years and broke up with him a year and a bit ago. How do I know when I'm ready to start dating again?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Just try and go on a date, if you feel like your forcing yourself then it's too soon, and apologies to the one your on the date with.

1|1
    0|0
  • When you don't judge others for what's been done to you in your previous relationship. When you see someone for who they are & not what they could or should be.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• When you've dated someone for many years, there may always be some level of feelings there just because you have a lot of history together but when those feelings have diminished and you're no longer grieving the end of the relationship, I think it's okay to start dating again. It's hard to pinpoint an exact time when you'll feel like "okay, I'm over it and ready to date again." I think it just happens gradually. Over time, you will start feeling more "normal" and interested in meeting new people, that's likely when you'll know you are ready to start dating again.

4|1
    0|0
  • I feel like you have 2 options:

1. Wait until you meet someone that makes you want to try dating again. This is good because you know you're ready, but it's bad because while waiting you might be holding yourself back and becoming complacent with your situation.

2. Try going on a few dates, even if you're not 100% sure. I say a "few" because if the first person you meet is a dud then you may once again be holding yourself back. If you try a few dates and your heart just isn't in it, don't force it. It's ok to take your time.

I do think it's important though to get out and do thing with friends, or try to make new friends to get yourself re-energized socially. I've found that even if I'm not looking for a date, it does help me feel a bit more "healed" which helps move me forward to wanting to try and put myself out there romantically again.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• You know when you're ready again, I've been single for 3 years, 2 years by choice, this last year I've been all good to go, it just comes naturally that you want to start things again.

3|0
    0|0
  • Trust your gut. Sometimes you can't be 100% sure until you do it. It was that way for me with children. I really never wanted kids or thought I'd be ready. I couldn't imagine a world without them now that I have them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not sure it's a thing that you make a decision on but more of a thing if the right person comes along 😊

1|1
    0|0
  • People say ,
    when you get your crotch wet , miss. anonymous
    while talking to someone new.
    you will know you are ready

0|0
    1|0
  • Once you've gotten yourself figured out again. At least that's what I learned through my experiences.

1|0
    0|0
  • When you see a guy (or girl) you like and you’re not thinking of your previous partner every five seconds when you’re hanging out with them

1|0
    0|0
  • You'll feel the need to be with someone and be seen with someone and just the constant open communication will lead you to wanting to move on eventually.

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually about two weeks before you break up with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you fall in love with someone it automatically tells you i love him/her now so when you fall in love again you know

0|0
    0|0
  • When you see someone and think they might make a good boyfriend/girlfriend

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you feel like it after a year are you ready to get back out there single and start mingling

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have to ask... Do you not know your in mind?

0|0
    0|0
  • You just try it one and if you don't feel right then your not ready to start dating again

0|0
    0|0
  • I think You're always ready

0|0
    0|0
  • Just start I'll take you out

0|0
    1|0
  • When your body tells you... Or just get a toy!

0|0
    1|0
  • l am very ready

0|0
    1|0
  • The day after you broke up with your ex.

0|0
    1|0
  • When you start and it doesn't freak you out.

0|0
    0|0
  • You just do

0|1
    0|0
  • Trust your gut feeling.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess you give it a try.. Else you'll never know

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't, you just do it at some point. A year is more then enough time

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• 1. You are healed of the wounds that you may have had (or might still have)
    2. You are emotionally okay
    3. When Your not prideful, aggressive, abusive, passive, etc
    4. When you've learned to value and love yourself

1|0
    0|0
  • You just have to go for it, casual dating nothing serious.

1|0
    0|0
  • When you meet someone and your ex doesn’t cross your mind anymore.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think just jump in go for it cause life to short be cautious.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you'll start craving a man's company

0|1
    0|0
  • Are u serious? this is ridiculous

0|0
    2|1
  • I think your reasy to date again when your happy with yourself, you know what you want in your next relationship, and you can take the lessons from your last relationship and leave it in the past. Even go so far as to forgive him or yourself for the failed relationshio and the problems within it, and start to open yourself to new possibilities in life without constraints. Your past doesn't have to hold power over your future

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes