Is there peofessions you disregard when you date?

Being a developer I'm often categorized as a geek that isn't interesting based on my line of work ( and frankly the fact I'm not the muscular type doesn't help)

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Only professions like prostitution or anything like that I would disregard.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe women who get paid for their company would at least pose a difficulty in my case unless they were really exceptional. In my experience, women who get paid for their company tend to start having strange ideas about relationships with guys. That comes from befriending a number as my buddy owns a bar straight in the heart of that sort of thing, and often I met lots of women working as hostesses and such there who became nice friends of mine, but after seeing their love life going all over the place, not the types I'd ever want to date.

Software developer is one of the worst for us guys in my experience. I've had colleagues get instantly rejected by girls at bars upon being asked their job. There's probably an assumption there that we sit around on computers all day in a most antisocial fashion with little better things to talk about than geeky things, data structures, and algorithms (though I've worked with a number where that wasn't far from the truth).

I haven't had as much difficulty due to it but into fitness, have tats, sponsored vert skater (skateboard), into drinking and partying and socializing, and dress in a somewhat grungy way. Perhaps that helps to somewhat offset the antisocial programmer stereotype, as I tended to receive positive attention upon mentioning the job instead of negative, even at bars and clubs.

• Actually my style might resemble one of the members of Jackass and likewise with the interest in skateboarding and drinking and such. So I might actually give off a vibe that I'm a total idiot at which point when I mention that I'm a software engineer, the girl's reaction is like, "Wow! So you aren't a complete idiot in all aspects!" (she doesn't actually say that but I often get that impression).

• IT is really the kind of work that leads to being ignored in my experience.