Ladies would you like your boyfriend to tell you what to wear?

Last night me and my girlfriend went out to dinner. I went to go pick her up and she was wearing a dress that was a little "showy". So when she got in the car i told her that her dress was a little short and maybe to cover her boobs a little but since we were going to a nice dinner place. She said she wanted to make me happy and impress me. I told her im happy she wants that but maybe she should change. I seen her get kinda sad so i said sorry to her right away and told her she looks fine.

I'm new to dating so I don't know if this is normal or not. I just want her to be classy. She is a classy girl but this dress in my opinion was maybe not for this dinner place. Regardless we had a great time. Next time how should i deal with this?

20