WHAT DO I DO! he's SO ANNOYING?

My husband has a situation where he has horrible dry arms. Its getting to the point where he scratches and its bleeding and the skin is peeling. Iv been having arguments to try to get him to use lotion. Last night i told him i will buy a nonscented lotion for him sk he doesn't have to use my women kind. We argued non stop. I took a minute and i tried to talk to him in the calmest voice i could. Even though my insides where gonna explode. I told him to please talk to me and not argue. I will buy this lotion for him to use. He got extremely upset and threw his phone on the ground. I told him he was being rude and childish at this point. Still with a calm voice. And he turned off the light and fell asleep upset with me. What should i do.
  • Let him bleed and scratch.
  • Keep arguing until he listens.

37

Most Helpful Guys

• Well u are treating him like a child by telling him u will buy said cream

• I care about him i just want to help him. In your position what would you do

• Thanks

• It worked. I left him alone and when he complained about it i reminded him how i tried to help him. He uses it now. Lol he's getting better. Thanks

• There is a good chance he won't listen. A lot of men are conditioned not to look for help and not to use feminine products because of masculinity, just as they are conditioned not to hit women because of masculinity. If he was conditioned enough then his fear of being weak and unmanly will make it so he can't actually listen to what you say, it's something he wants but can't let himself accept because he knows he'll feel weak if he does.

at least that's my interpretation of his actions, he is clearly in pain, as shown by his fit of annoyance/anger throwing his phone. He doesn't want feminine products and will take physical pain to avoid being feminine. Seemingly upset by the idea of his girlfriend buying things for him. He seems to fit the description of a man who is heavily conditioned by societies idea of masculinity.

• That makes a lot more sense. Especially since at the moment im the one bringing home the money and he's still in school. To be fair he is taking his masters while i did my associates. Anyways. How do i mske him feel better while still treating his wounds?

• If they deviate then majority of women will refuse to date them because of expectations (most women I've met won't date a man who is poor and men can't hit women even if they are being violent, women and children first, etc.). Women can refuse to date a man under 5'10 and most people will see that as acceptable, man refuses to date a woman because of her weight and he is shallow. Men get used for sex, or even sexually abused and they are told should be happy about it, or that they're just lucky to get their dick wet. Men get abused by their partners and get laughed at for it for being weak even though they can't physically defend themselves without being immediately seen as far worse. Men are expected to be strong, dependable, trustworthy, hardworking, etc. Simply on merit of their gender.

• If they can't provide for their girlfriend they are usually looked down upon, if they don't have enough time to help the girl with all her emotions they are looked down upon, yet they are expected to not be emotional themselves. To be fair part of female gender roles still being prevalent plays into that since women are expected to be emotional and not as career driven.

Both genders still have a long way to go, but if we can get society halfway to your mothers logic then I think we would have a much better society. I understand your annoyance, I hope you can get through to him but conditioning can be hard to undo if it's deeply rooted. Maybe a counsellor/therapist could help him?

Most Helpful Girl

• Get him some Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula for dry Ashy Skin, or Burt's Bees Honey and Shea Butter body butter. Both are good for intensive dry skin treatment and are in tubs. If he is scratching because of itching try O'Keeffe's Skin Repair for guaranteed relief for extremely dry Itchy Skin. It comes in a white pump bottle with a yellow pump top and label. That's what I use on older residents with really dry skin and it helps.