Why would he tell me about his ex?

I’ve been talking to this guy and he just told me about how he’s still friends with his ex. He explained how even though they broke up they still remain friends because there could still be a different type of love underneath. How they didn’t lose each other despite their past and they remain friends. Is he trying to make me jealous or just being open? We both like each other and now it’s making me question whether or not he told me this because he now just wants to be friends. What should I do?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Maybe he is being honest and open with you because he trusts you. I would rather find out now about an ex being a friend then later on down the line. He could had kept it a secret but didn't. That shows he trusts you.

0|1
    0|0
  • he is definitely not in the dating mood yet, so take it as it is: he is hung up on his ex in a really bad way. Trying to get him over it, will only hurt you.
    There was this girl and guy and they were acting so close to the point of going everywhere together that at first I thought they are together.
    I somehow realized they are not and I thought to myself "huh, got it all wrong" and the worst part was that I fell for her from that point on.
    "worst" because though she did look like she kind of liked me back, she wasn't ready to let go. She was literally at the level of a schoolgirl, secretly liking the guy, but every time something happens she froze and reacted strange.
    I realized that though not together officially, they were a couple at some point and decided to stay friends after it went down.
    They would definitely fuck each other. And to think I liked her and she was showing interest but not taking the leap of letting go, so she dragged me along for a while.

It wasn't that easy to comprehend that though they are not together, she is still with him. It was strangest thing.
    But I let go when I ran into this beautiful blonde blue-eyed girl that simply made me go "wow" and realized there is no reason to waste my time on someone that does not want my time. So that blonde girl helped me move on.

Fast forward 7-8 months, not sure what happened between them, but she contacted to ask to go out. I passed. I'm perfectly fine with it.

So my opinion based on my experience would be: even if you can get some signs of interest, don't bother with him. He will not let go and will not care on what you want. He will, at most, drag you along as a safety net in case he cannot get back to his ex.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• to let u know that he has ex and he is have the capability to get girlfriend

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Prolly because he's through with her and ready for a new girlfriend. Get you vagina ready for him to thrust boldy into it or maybe let him warn you about his ubiquitous penis- either way it sounds like penis combat is in the near future - may the best penis win!

0|0
    0|0
  • I once dated a girl that told me I hadn't got over my ex because sometimes I'd talk about her in random situations. At the time I thought she was being dramatic and I was just using my previous relationship as a mean to find stuff to talk about. But in retrospective I think she was right. So maybe he simply still hasn't got over his ex and hasn't realized it yet?

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe he is trying to see if you believe in platonic love, a litmus test to see if your possible hookup will create tension between yourselves and his ex. I myself cannot believe that this is only, or will remain, a platonic love between these two people who are obviously attractive to the other, but I could be wrong. Ultimately it’s what you think.

1|0
    0|0
  • Man wants only sex. If there was love.. after it broke up it only can be hateness or so.. otherwise no love before ever was. Only friends... man and woman can not be friends for long. Man ALWAYS treats her as a potential partner. Friends only with man is possible where is no sexual interests. Unless you are gay. But thats diferent thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Trying to be open. I'm friends with an ex, and my wife has become friends with you as well, and hiding that friendship could only lead to distrust down the road.

0|0
    0|0
  • He's trying to be open with you. And you should've asked more about him if you like him. Like who broke up with who and why. If she broke up with h8m then I don't know if you can trust that he doesn't still lover her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just being open. Trying yo make iy bot awkward when you see them together getting along when ypu know they were an item once

0|0
    0|0
  • he's being open. How would you have felt about it if kept this to himself and you found about it from somewhere else.

1|0
    0|0
    • Good answer. Being open and have trust in your partner is the key.

• Because you are part of his life now. Is he supposed to just keep things to himself forever and ever now? He is trying to show you what he has experienced that lead up to you. Listen.

0|0
    0|0
  • He is being honest and open. but Guys don't always discuss these things with everyone. Somewhere It means that he trust you a lot. And you have a special room in his life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• He's not over her, he knows that deep inside, if she comes to him, she'd be a priority, at least for now. He might be doing this involuntary, but also because he may e trusting you to know that much about him. Don't back out but step with caution.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be careful. He might just being open. But if you see signs that shows he loves her in another level. As in touching her grouping her. Then he might just still like her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be glad he's being open and honest about her with you, mine is still kind of friends with his ex and I don't have a problem with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's good to be honest and open

0|0
    0|0
  • Mine did the same

0|0
    0|0
  • He still love her

0|0
    0|0
  • He was just being open to u. At least he told u about his ex and was being honest to u unlike most guys

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes