Would you date a musician?

Now that I'm trying to get back into dating, these questions happen. Partly stereotype and partly lack of appeal of that lifestyle, but I generally assume a musician wouldn't be the right fit for me. I'm also a complete nerd with a political activism/nonprofit background and I'm trying to get into medical school, so I (perhaps unfairly) wonder what on earth Mr. "I'm a producer and in a band" and I would have in common in the first place. It's not impossible, it just seems unlikely. Also, I guess I assume I'm not the type of woman someone like that would typically be chasing after.

Admittedly, I view classical/orchestral musicians differently because the experience and lifestyles are often different in their necessity.

What do you think, especially the ladies?

713

Most Helpful Guys

• Is music a hobby or a lifestyle?

If someone plays for fun and not for a living, that is fine. I have dated a woman who does that.

If a lifestyle, there is a real problem with musicians. They either have not enough money or too much money too fast. Both situations have their own problems.

• Are you asking this because you have met and are considering dating a musician? It is a hard career to make it in. I do have a musician friend who has had an established career since he was 25 and he can even pack a theatre. Even so, he rarely makes over 50K in a year. His wife is a school teacher and together they do fine. I know others who have never really made anything at it and they tried to "go pro". I know another guy who has helped produce 4 platinum albums with a famous band and he does well, but he has lots of other stuff going on the side in the sound industry.

• 50K in a year sounds wonderful. Most I ever made in a year was £7k. And yes I had 2 jobs and a car but was too poor for things like a house, or... food.

• WOW OK... I guess he is doing alright! And he does have a wife who has a better income.

• To be fair you magiced the number. It’s just us poor folk who earn minimum wage or less who are marvelling at the high incomes.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't care. I think it's cool and I like that he has a job or hobby in the field of art, which I have and love as well.