Have you ever dated or married someone from another culture?

How did you adapt? Traditions? Ceremonies? Foods?

69

Most Helpful Guy

• Dated a girl from the Ukrain for a few months.
    It worked out well. I had studied up on the traditions there so there really wasn't a whole lot I wasn't aware of. It was more teaching her the traditions here in the U. S. She had a big culture shock and tearing down of the beliefs she thought were true.
    The tradition of meeting her family wasn't bad. Getting used to the drinking at every little thing the family approved of caused a headache (literally). I had to get used to her cooking all the time. Large amounts. I didn't mind too much, but I couldn't finish all the left overs before they went bad. Not to mention, my food bill was going through the roof. When she wasn't cooking, she was at the gym, or shopping.
    I didn't mind the gym as I would join her most of the time. I just couldn't stay as long she did. I didn't mind the shopping either. She had a knack for making the most mundane looking things look amazing. Although sometimes she would get really upset when I told her I didn't like an outfit. Too much sparkly shit for a bar-b-que. She always went for looking her absolute best. Took her a while to learn she didn't have to do that.
    She eventually went back to the Ukrain because she missed her family too much. She thought she could stay permanently, but turned out she wasn't prepared to do that. Great girl. We still keep in touch every few months or so.

• Did you both just decide on a separation?

• Not really. I'm still looking. I'm not looking for a replacement. Just someone who I can have something of the same connection.
      Hard to explain, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

• I do understand. Thanks for sharing

Most Helpful Girl

• Have dated twice, both guys with different cultures. Really good experience when it comes to learning the new cultures and getting to know about them.
    But it's only fun and great if both partners are open minded and wanna learn more, and at the same time don't try to force each other to follow their culture.