Have you ever dated or married someone from another culture?

How did you adapt? Traditions? Ceremonies? Foods?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Dated a girl from the Ukrain for a few months.
    It worked out well. I had studied up on the traditions there so there really wasn't a whole lot I wasn't aware of. It was more teaching her the traditions here in the U. S. She had a big culture shock and tearing down of the beliefs she thought were true.
    The tradition of meeting her family wasn't bad. Getting used to the drinking at every little thing the family approved of caused a headache (literally). I had to get used to her cooking all the time. Large amounts. I didn't mind too much, but I couldn't finish all the left overs before they went bad. Not to mention, my food bill was going through the roof. When she wasn't cooking, she was at the gym, or shopping.
    I didn't mind the gym as I would join her most of the time. I just couldn't stay as long she did. I didn't mind the shopping either. She had a knack for making the most mundane looking things look amazing. Although sometimes she would get really upset when I told her I didn't like an outfit. Too much sparkly shit for a bar-b-que. She always went for looking her absolute best. Took her a while to learn she didn't have to do that.
    She eventually went back to the Ukrain because she missed her family too much. She thought she could stay permanently, but turned out she wasn't prepared to do that. Great girl. We still keep in touch every few months or so.

0|0
    0|0
    • Did you both just decide on a separation?

• Show All
    • Not really. I'm still looking. I'm not looking for a replacement. Just someone who I can have something of the same connection.
      Hard to explain, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

• I do understand. Thanks for sharing

Most Helpful Girl

• Have dated twice, both guys with different cultures. Really good experience when it comes to learning the new cultures and getting to know about them.
    But it's only fun and great if both partners are open minded and wanna learn more, and at the same time don't try to force each other to follow their culture.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• She was from another Western culture, so it wasn't that difficult, but there were some significant cultural differences.

0|0
    0|0
    • Already had some familiarity with her culture and language, but gained more during the marriage from Living in her Country.

Have dated women from Asia and other European countries, and you adapt as best you can by having contact and doing your best to learn at least some of the language (with Asian ones, Westerners usually can't expect to get anywhere near fluent). Basically, lots of contact, being curious and open-minded and doing your best to learn the language because that helps in Closing the cultural gap between you.

• I've had a long term relationship with someone from a somewhat different culture - not drastically different but still with some different traditions, ceremonies and foods. We just kind of both accepted the things that were important to the other one. There were a couple of foods she liked that I just couldn't eat, but mostly we just each expanded our set of traditions, ceremonies and foods.

0|0
    0|0
  • When love happens everything seems small. These doesn't matter so much. But when there is love you can find a way talking

0|0
    0|0
  • Its forbidden to date somone married in all relegions.. even in life..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea. I learned the traditions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and we're kinda still together since 2012

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope...

0|0
    0|0
  • Nooo

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• If it's a big issue talk about it with your partner. I found the humor in our differences and most of the time the person who is (white) is the one who is interested to learn about the other so. I think just having conversations about your culture is the best way

0|0
    0|0
  • My mom did. She married a Russian, and she grew up in the US. I guess she got along fine because I'm here.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dated for 2 years. He lived here but at a point the place started to feel claustrophobic so he wanted to leave

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm dating a guy from other state other caste, culture... I like him... But he don't have guts to go against his family if any such situation arises

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes!!! He's German and Native American

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes