Why do women want to get married so badly vs. Men, whereas men want to date whenever they can?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Society has a nasty habit of making something completely normal that women want seem desperate and sad.
    What do you mean badly? Yes most women want to get married and yes most women want a family at some point. That's completely normal. That's how it works virtually every culture on this planet.

And believe it or not, most men want it. And their figures are pretty close to women's in most surveys.

0|0
    0|0
    • Maybe the wording of my question seems misleading. I don't mean to say that marriage is good/bad or anything of the sort. It's mostly the differences in the genders that I was inquiring. It seems strange to me that men want to date really badly (yes, myself included). But women are VERY pushy for marriage.

You mentioned the surveys, the results I don't doubt whatsoever. Whats really interesting, is that men who are in relationships that say they wanna get married very seldom actually do!

• Firstly the surveys weren't about people in relationships. They were about single people

Secondly "men who are in relationships that say they wanna get married very seldom actually do" ... and how would you know that?

It seems like you're projecting from yourself to the general male population a lot here, but not everyone feels the same way

I know men want to date, as opposed to just casual sex if that's what you mean. But you keep throwing out adjectives there that mean very little.
      What do you mean "very" pushy? Certainly it is not what I've seen. Again yes most women want to get married and have a family. And maybe women are aware of that at a younger age than men and/or are more goal oriented. But again that's something completely normal

Most Helpful Guy

• Most commonly I hear guys say a cost vs reward analysis shows that it's not worth the risks compared to living single since you can get most of the benefits of a relarionship easily without the relationship. For me I just don't see a point. I love romance and I like symbolism, but that's all I like about marriage. I don't care for the huge gathering, the display of wealth, the social norms. My problems with weddings aside since I guess that's separate... marriage offers nothing to the relationship long term. It doesn't add faithfulness, love, specialness. It's a celebration of the feelings you two share and a symbolism of your commitment, I like the vows and the rings (even though I can't wear a wedding ring :( broke my ring finger and just trust me with the way it healed a ring will not fit on) and thats about it. Everything else feels utterly pointless and sometimes backwards. Any "benefit" of it I can get is something I can have with a long term committed relationship. In my country I even get the tax benefits for living with a partner for a period of time.

Mostly my views on this were shaped by my parents (well, mom and step dad) who were not married (my mother was really wary about it after my birth father fucked her over) until this year (they've been together for almost 20 years). I have no religious needs for marriage as an atheist and this is a little off topic but still related, I dislike the diamond industry.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• It's something we are born with the idea of being with one person it makes sense to us. Marriage is just something that aligns with that idea. Nowadays because of the amount of hate we recieved this idea is fading and the next generations won't have this idea.

0|0
    0|0
    • This won't explain the differences in gender however. If by, "we/us" you mean women exclusively, then this contradicts why men prefer dating over women.

What Guys Said 7

• Marriage is a terrible deal for men in western society. Feminists are pushing pretty hard to make sure men don't benefit from marriage anywhere in the world now. More men are figuring it out though. Marriage and childbirth rates are at their lowest levels in decades. That's not going to change until men start getting treated as equals in relationships and parenting. I believe we're at least one full generation away from that though, maybe two or more.

0|0
    0|0
    • Okay this is a valid answer, but this doesn't why men try to date more than women? removing the risk of getting destroyed in a marriage shouldn't make men want to pursue even more in relationships.

• I'll have to see your source on that because your suggestion doesn't match my experience or readings. Until the recent MeToo movement, men generally had less to lose from just dating and casual sex than we did in marriage. Now we're dating less too, and literally avoiding situations in which we may end up alone with women we don't fully know and trust. I really don't think men are opting to date more than women are. Though maybe still opting to date over marriage.

• Monetary gains.
    Women think they'll get a princess wedding and everything will be rosy and jolly.

Then after a year or two they apply for a divorce cause they're "bored" or "unhappy". Getting 50% of the man's property.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are no benefits for a guy to be married while women have ALL the benefits come divorce time so they know they can't lose in the long run.

0|1
    0|0
  • Read Sociobiology.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do women want to get married though?

0|0
    0|0
  • l would love to get married

0|0
    0|0
  • the only reason women want to get married is to get that alimoney, childsupport.

0|1
    0|0
    • they want to GET married to get something that requires the END of a marriage?

Recommended myTakes