How do you have the "exclusive relationship conversation" and when it is ok to bring it up?

I have been seeing an older woman for the past 3 months and she wants me to come over to her apartment. We have not yet made our relationship official however, we are both aware we want a long-term and like each other. I have never been over to a woman's apartment before in terms of someone I am dating that I see as my official girlfriend. When an older woman invites you over to her place is it appropriate I bring up the exclusivity? Or should I wait until she says something? I am not sure when the exclusivity conversation should be brought up or how one does that. I am not comfortable having sex until we are first exclusive. (Note: I know we may not have sex but if that does happen) Is it ok to reject sex until we are official?

115

Most Helpful Guys

• Hey that's pretty awesome. Yeah, if you're not ready, let her know. Your concerns are as legitimate as hers would be.

• Thank you! Ok sounds good, I don't want to mess it up because I really like her... if she doesn't become intimate with me when I am at her house... I don't know should I just then wait? Haha

• I'm sure she would understand

• Whatever you are comfortable with- just because you're younger than her doesn't nake you a junior partner who has to defer to her. Make your wishes and opinions known.

• so when a woman invites you to her apartment what does this say about our relationship? That she sees me as long term? :)

• So if we do makeout even if we're "not official" that does not mean I should bring it up because the last girl I dated all she wanted from me was sex and at first she said she wanted a real relationship in the beginning but I am afraid of that happening again... where they land up twisting what they wanted

• You've got leverage, and it is highest before you have sex. If you aren't ready yet, tell her why. It's perfectly legit- different people have different expectations.

If the topic of exclusivity is important to you, bring it up when you're Ready to discuss it. If she respects you (a prereq for a relationship anyway), she'll discuss it and you'll come to a conclusion.

Most Helpful Girl