Have been called affectionately needy, good or bad?

When I mean "needy" I don't mean like need to know where you are 24/7 or need you to text all the time when not together. It's more I crave affection, even if it's the slightest bit I love it so much. Holding hands, a kiss on the cheek or forehead to snuggling and being super affectionate. Affection is a must have when it comes to my relationships, if a guy doesn't put in the effort to be affectionate towards me then I can't see it working out.
Do you think this is a good or bad trait to have? This is for both genders to answer.
  • Good
  • Bad
  • Other
    Vote C

116

Most Helpful Guys

• Good for me since I enjoy the same kind of affectionate touch frequently. But I would just call that "affectionate" rather than "needy". Needy has negative connotations to me because it's like you need that just to survive or something, whereas I'm "affectionate" in the sense that I enjoy it. I'm not going to go crazy if I don't get a hug on a given day.

• Like I still hold hands with my wife every time we go out even though we're in our 30s. I don't care. I don't do it as a public display of affection. I just enjoy feeling her hand in mine, just as I enjoy touching her boobs and butt and everything else. I like to touch a woman's body as often as I can. But I won't react negatively if I don't have that all the time. I'm fine without it, just happier with it.

• But she's okay when I go on my business trips for a week or two at a time. She doesn't text me desperate texts talking about how crazy she's going absent my company for that period. Instead she sends me loving and sweet and positive ones, and every time I return home after my business trip, I found her eagerly and patiently waiting at the airport (even though she could have just waited at home). And she always dashes and runs at me and jumps in my arms while I drop my luggage, and that always cheers me up after those long 12+ hour flights and a week or two of crunch and back-to-back meetings at work.

• So she's fine when I'm not there. She doesn't "need" me. She "wants" me. And I find that so much preferable that she wants me with her heart, because it makes all her affectionate gestures seem more genuine and positive.

I've dated needy girls before and their affections started to becoming upsetting and irritating to me, not because they were doing things much different from my wife in that respect. But it became clear in my absence that they borderline "needed" this just to feel happy with themselves.

And at that point it makes the affections seem less genuine. Compare it to an addiction, like an addiction to tobacco. The tobacco addict might even hate smoking and what it's doing to his body, but reaches for cigarettes anyway. It's an unhealthy addiction. He's not even doing to make himself happy; he's just doing it to avoid being unhappy.

And that's the general kind of difference of impression I got from "needy" girls and "affectionate" ones who weren't "needy" like my wife.

• It's neither. It's just a character trait. If you see it in terms of chakra, you must have a strong potent sacral chakra (corresponds to naval area). It's in charge of the functions of creativity (literally and figuratively), sex, affection, emotional warmth. It only seems as something bad because unfortunately society sees it as something that's weird because we're all becoming more robotic lately. You do you, it's alright to be affectionate and being close, warm. Just make it stay as a thing you want, not need. It's okay to "need" it in a relationship. Actually I think you misuse the word need. I'd say "require". If you need it, it's an addiction, and watch out with that. Good luck!

Most Helpful Girl