What can I tell my girlfriend so that she can stop smoking?

Ever since the summer began my girlfriend started smoking cigarettes. I tell her everytime to stop and quit. Last night we had an argument in the car about it. She started to smoke and i told her to pull over and not do it in front of me, she said no. Then i took her pack and put it in my pocket. She told me to give it back to her but i did not. She dropped me off home then i threw them in the back of her car. I care for her a lot and i dont want to be rude to her but one of my biggest things is smoking.

3265

Most Helpful Girls

• -lSo why did you start with this girl when you knew she smoked, especially if it is a deal breaker? It's like saying I know there are piranha in the water but I'm gonna stick my foot in there anyway. But I'll tell you what some things you can tell her, but it probably won't do any good. For one, smoking is a leading contributor for heart attacks in women. My aunt was a heavy smoker since she was 16. When she was in her 60's she started getting Alzheimers after a heart attack. She had several more over the years and each time she got worse until she finally had to go to a care home where she died. Also women who smoke have their faces go to pot faster than non smokers. My mother went to her high school reunion and said all her friends that were smokers looked way older than the other women from her class. Lastly smoking can damage the health of others in her family from 2nd hand smoke and if she smokes during pregnancy it can affect the fetus in many ways, both mentally and physically. So... of she cares anything about any of this, or about you she will stop smoking.

and each time

• He literally says in the first line in the summer his girlfriend started smoking. That means she wasn't a snoker when they got together. Are you really that stupid?

• Most people who start smoking have no idea what harm it can do to them and yes, lots of people use smoking to ease their nerves. So what are you going to do if she refuses to stop?

• Hey! I spoke to her last night and did all the above. I found out the reason why and she said she would try and stop but I have to support her which I will. I also told her that she can save money to fix her car because it runs rough and maybe even work to buying a new one and every $ saved won't go to smokes. She sounded committed to it so we'll see.

• Well ill tell you that most people start smoking for a reason and its usually because of some sort of problem in their life. Smoking relieves stress and allows you to relax and calm your mind so starting an argument will only make her want to smoke more. Have a real calm and honest conversation with her about what is really troubling her and what made her want to start smoking. Then hopefully you can get to the root of it and help her fix it. But you'll need to remain supportive and actually listen dont make the conversation about you or she'll pull away

• Hey, I spoke to her last night and did all the above. I found out the reason why and she said she would try and stop but I have to support her which I will. I also told her that she can save money to fix her car because it runs rough and maybe even work to buying a new one and every $ saved won't go to smokes. She sounded committed to it so we'll see.

• Well thats great, it doesn't sound like she's been a smoker that long so she should be able to break the habit fairly easy so keep supporting her and itll happen

• She started this summer but i think she can stop it, she only does it when stressed, so im going to support her no matter what

Most Helpful Guys

• You went about it all wrong. Regardless of how you feel about them, they were her property. If you're not a smoker, it's hard for you to understand the addiction. Let me try to relate it for you. Think of something that you love to do regularly, like every day. Now think about how hard it would be to stop doing it completely. I'm not saying she loves smoking, but quitting smoking for her is about as difficult as that would be for you. The best thing you can do to get her to quit is to set aside 3 days and make everything as stress free as possible. Yelling at her, making her uncomfortable, arguing, these are all things that cause stress. When someone or something causes a smoker stress, the body goes into "give me nicotine NOW" mode. So the way that you were trying to get her to stop, actually made her need to smoke more. That's another thing for you to understand, to a smoker, smoking is not a want, in their mind and physically to their body it actually is a need.

This is how I quit.

I learned that after 72 hours without nicotine, the body's need for it goes away. I went up north, didn't bring any smokes, and sat in that cabin stress free. After that, I knew it was all mental. You need to help her understand that you care about her and want her to quit. Create a stress free environment for her for 3 days. Nicotine withdrawals are real and they're not easy. She will get edgy, irritable, argumentative and maybe even aggressive. But you gotta keep your cool and just support her through that time regardless of how unreasonable she becomes. After that, you should have your girlfriend that doesn't smoke back.

• thank you for your advice, ill use it and im going to speak to her tonight

• Buy her lots of gum, I mean a lot! Have her pick a quit date. On the day prior, throw out all items related to smoking. It will be hard for the two of you for a few days to a couple weeks. the physical being 2-4 days and the psychological and muscle memory need retrained.

• Exactly right

• That's just shows she lacks respect and is inconsiderate of your concerns. She can't even wait till your out of the car? Most smokers I know if there's someone who doesn't like the smell of smoke and they're in a confound area, they won't do it. Its bad for her and she'll smell like it all the time, plus smokers taste disgusting. Don't be with a a person who doesn't care for your opinion or her health.

• When she gets pretty stressed she smokes. We had a 30 minute car ride and pretty much on the way back i was just telling her to stop and its not good for her. She forsure cares about me. I been with her for 4 years, i know she does love me deep down. She just gets out of it when she's mad.

• That's a terrible outlet for stress. Plus, nicotine makes you more stressed if you don't get your fix. If someone I love whose opinions I cherish tells me something I'm doing is hurting them and myself and it clearly is, I would immediately reconsider my actions because their concern for me means a lot.

• I'll talk with her today