Why is it important not to drop your friends when you are in a relationship?

Why, to you, is it important to maintain friendships when you get into a new relationship? I am curious how people feel about this. My best friend disappears for the entire length of the relationship when she gets a new boyfriend. Doing that seems to work for her. It gets exhausting for me as her friend to constantly be brushed off, but she always comes back when the relationship either ends or gets more comfortable. Do you make sure to maintain friendships? Why or why not? Why is it important?

614

Most Helpful Guys

• Friendship where there b4 the boyfriend came so I think it deserves some respect. But most people tend to spend as much of their waking moments with their bf/gf in order to know them better and get more serous seeing that most of them won't take the time to do that shit first, as most of them just dive right in after like 2 months or less of knowing each other.

• And more than likely the relationship will fail and friendship stay so yeah, its important not to drop them

• In my case I have known my friends since really young age, most of my life really. But in the time I have known them I've had 15+ girlfriends all of which are gone. The point I'm trying to make here is that droping them simply because I have a girlfriend would be stupid.

Most Helpful Girl

• While I think people should have more care in how they treat their friends in these circumstances, I often find friends have pretty unreasonable expectations when it comes to those around them getting into relationships. The reality is that priorities change. There are still only so many hours in the day and now a good many of those that were dedicated to friends are now focussed on a relationship. That’s normal, friendships adjust to make room for someone new in their life and for the new normal to settle.

It’s important to still give time to our friends, but it’s equally as important for them to have be willing to adjust to a balance