Why is it important not to drop your friends when you are in a relationship?

Why, to you, is it important to maintain friendships when you get into a new relationship? I am curious how people feel about this. My best friend disappears for the entire length of the relationship when she gets a new boyfriend. Doing that seems to work for her. It gets exhausting for me as her friend to constantly be brushed off, but she always comes back when the relationship either ends or gets more comfortable. Do you make sure to maintain friendships? Why or why not? Why is it important?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Friendship where there b4 the boyfriend came so I think it deserves some respect. But most people tend to spend as much of their waking moments with their bf/gf in order to know them better and get more serous seeing that most of them won't take the time to do that shit first, as most of them just dive right in after like 2 months or less of knowing each other.

0|1
    0|0
    • And more than likely the relationship will fail and friendship stay so yeah, its important not to drop them

• In my case I have known my friends since really young age, most of my life really. But in the time I have known them I've had 15+ girlfriends all of which are gone. The point I'm trying to make here is that droping them simply because I have a girlfriend would be stupid.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• While I think people should have more care in how they treat their friends in these circumstances, I often find friends have pretty unreasonable expectations when it comes to those around them getting into relationships. The reality is that priorities change. There are still only so many hours in the day and now a good many of those that were dedicated to friends are now focussed on a relationship. That’s normal, friendships adjust to make room for someone new in their life and for the new normal to settle.

It’s important to still give time to our friends, but it’s equally as important for them to have be willing to adjust to a balance

1|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• I hear from a very reputable source (the bing bang theory) that once one starts a romantic relationship, one friends is dropped. Sadly I dropped all my friends over night when I moved away with a. new girlfriend on a whim. Fun times actually.

0|0
    0|0
  • You and she need to learn to be friends all the time. Both of you are to obsessed with boys that you exclude your exciting like from your other interest.

0|0
    0|0
  • In life you will need both friends and partners - To focus entirely on one over the other could wnd up in losing both

0|1
    0|0
  • Friendship is always more important. You shouldn't ditch your friends because you have a new relationship, they were there before and they will be there after

0|0
    0|0
  • Why? You need someone other than your SO to do things with and usually you know them longer. The reasons for having that friend likely didn't go away just because you have someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause when the relationship ends you won't have friends left either if you ditched them.

1|1
    0|0
  • Your friend will break up with someone one day and find out all of her friends, including you, have moved on

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea I absolutely would maintain my friendships lol. Your friend is not really your friend

0|1
    0|0
  • My best friend has been with me for 8 years and I have some online pen pals I’ve known for years I couldn’t just drop them I’d have to have a balance

0|0
    0|0
  • Because when the relationship ends you have no friends. Why would someone do something so stupid

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the relationship could end and you could be totally alone then

0|0
    0|0
  • Because bitches come and go. Lol

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Because friends have been longer with you than your boyfriend. They were always by your side, so you gotta keep balance between friends and boyfriend.
    Well, you see, when you get a new toy, you will give all your attention to him and when it get's boring, you miss all your old friends, then you get back to your old toys. It is the same.

1|1
    0|0
  • Because it’s not healthy to drop friends and spend all your time with your girlfriend or boyfriend. You need to be able to have other people around to talk to and hang with, and if anyone tries to isolate you... don’t walk, run!

0|0
    0|0
  • Always put your friends first! Because when the men are gone whos gonna be there for you? Your friends!

0|0
    0|0
  • I only have two real friends that I talk to because everyone else left me because they are fake and I don’t put up with it

0|0
    0|0
  • Because what if the relationship doesn’t last

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes