Is it a good idea to date a co-worker?

There is a guy I met after I started working at my current job, who I am interested in. However, I have never really been interested in any guy who I work with before. I do wonder if it is even a good idea to try and be more than friends. Do you think I could date him, or do you think I should keep it professional and be friends?

37

Most Helpful Guy

• Pros and cons, but meeting people at work is a good way to meet, the question really is can you keep the 2 separate

Most Helpful Girl

• It's kind of the same as dating a classmate. It can be great if you guys make it work but really awkward if it's short or falls through. But if you're both professional, you can get through that stuff. If you guys work intensively as part of a team (ie. advertising, marketing, design) I wouldn't recommend it though. If you do break up it could make things really difficult BUT if you guys get along really well and respect each now already, there's a good chance it'll work out.

I guess you have to find out what kind of relationship he'd be looking for. If it's something long term or even semi-long term it means he's prepared to put in the time and effort that's needed to make it work right off the bat, especially if you are too. It's best not to romanticize just because he's a guy that's nice and nearby but be realistic about what you need in a relationship and how well you know him & the dynamic you two have together. Consider having an impromptu outing after work for your office and take some time there to get to know him, his background and what he wants out of life. It could surprise you.