Do people that put ‘too much’ into their appearance come across as insecure?

I’m talking about the people on dating sites or in general who go a bit extra with style and posing. To me it gives me the impression they’re trying to overcompensate for something rather than just being comfortable in their own skin... I really prefer a guy with a bit of stubble who doesn’t mind a bit of hair out of place in the outdoors enjoying himself, rather than one dressed to the T in a bar pulling pouty poses!

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, of course, all the rich and successful people are just insecure and compensating.
    Thank god for all the greasy Johns at Janes working behind the counter at McDonald's, world would get nowhere without all the confidence and ambition that they are oozing.

2|0
    0|0
    • You’re completely missing the point

• Show All
    • Rich and successful people don’t need to overcompensate by looking like spice boys and posing like girls? Surely they can just be happy with looking like men and feel secure in that?

• And same goes for women, enhancing beauty is standard, but always hiding behind a mask of make up and clothing is an issue as they do not seem comfortable letting go and fully enjoying themselves. I suppose not many people are 100% comfortable in their own skin today.

• YES! Finally someone gets it! I keep saying on almost all these posts regarding appearances and how people see them, that they should focus on themselves and be completely comfortable in their own skin before they start dating... confidence is what makes the skin glow... not moisturizer.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Sometimes, I've met some really insecure girls who don't like what they look like naturally and try to cover it up by making themselves look completely unrecognisable. Then there are girls like me who just wear makeup because we like it, it makes us feel good :D

2|0
    0|0
  • I tend to agree with you. I actually feel a little put off by people that try too hard. Obviously effort is necessary, but doing too much isn’t cool. I’m sure there are people who just generally like putting in that much effort. However, in my experience With my friends and people I know the ones who do the most have serious insecurity issues when it comes to their self worth. They need an insanely high level of admiration to feel good.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• I don't know I'd say it's probably just for first impressions. I'd want to look decent for a first impression but I'm not insecure about anything.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I know but people can still look decent without going extra

• Depends, men and women want to seem more presentable as a suitable partners, so they'll probably dress up more for photos to seem their best. I don't think this has to do with insecurities.

2|0
    0|0
  • Of course. I dress like I don’t give any fuks. Because it’s all about what’s inside the man. Not the outside.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess? Usually if it looks too good I just assume it's a fake account.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on why you're putting effort into your appearance, is it because you like to take care of yourself or because you want others to like you

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

1|0
    0|0
  • I personally think so

1|1
    0|0
  • Yuppers

1|0
    0|0
  • Yesss

1|0
    0|0
  • It different form one to other

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not me l am normal and look after my self

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• You shouldn't judge anyone no matter how much time they put into their appearance. It's all about what's inside and how they treat others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some insecure, others as high maintenance or indeed as fake. But that just my opinion though.

2|2
    0|0
  • Over the top. Either they want to look there best or they are insecure

1|0
    0|0
  • People emphasize on looks attracting the best groomed mate and expect a fulfilling relationship. I’ve seen this fail repeatedly, but looks still win people over more than personality.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends. Some people are just perfectionists and would spend extra time fixing themselves till they look right especially when they're going out but it doesn't mean they're insecure. Some people have that type of style and would wear it everywhere. Basically appearance and insecurity are not exactly linear since you might find someone who is insecure and obsessed and another person who is insecure and looks like they gave up.

0|0
    0|0
  • People who do all that crap are fake as hell. What are they trying to hide?

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends but I’m one of those people who everyone thinks that I’m very confident about everything like my appearance and face but I’m actually one of the most insecure people about myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Believe so

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah they do.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think so

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes