Do people that put ‘too much’ into their appearance come across as insecure?

I’m talking about the people on dating sites or in general who go a bit extra with style and posing. To me it gives me the impression they’re trying to overcompensate for something rather than just being comfortable in their own skin... I really prefer a guy with a bit of stubble who doesn’t mind a bit of hair out of place in the outdoors enjoying himself, rather than one dressed to the T in a bar pulling pouty poses!

1214

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, of course, all the rich and successful people are just insecure and compensating.
    Thank god for all the greasy Johns at Janes working behind the counter at McDonald's, world would get nowhere without all the confidence and ambition that they are oozing.

• You’re completely missing the point

• Rich and successful people don’t need to overcompensate by looking like spice boys and posing like girls? Surely they can just be happy with looking like men and feel secure in that?

• And same goes for women, enhancing beauty is standard, but always hiding behind a mask of make up and clothing is an issue as they do not seem comfortable letting go and fully enjoying themselves. I suppose not many people are 100% comfortable in their own skin today.

• YES! Finally someone gets it! I keep saying on almost all these posts regarding appearances and how people see them, that they should focus on themselves and be completely comfortable in their own skin before they start dating... confidence is what makes the skin glow... not moisturizer.

Most Helpful Girls

• Sometimes, I've met some really insecure girls who don't like what they look like naturally and try to cover it up by making themselves look completely unrecognisable. Then there are girls like me who just wear makeup because we like it, it makes us feel good :D

• I tend to agree with you. I actually feel a little put off by people that try too hard. Obviously effort is necessary, but doing too much isn’t cool. I’m sure there are people who just generally like putting in that much effort. However, in my experience With my friends and people I know the ones who do the most have serious insecurity issues when it comes to their self worth. They need an insanely high level of admiration to feel good.