Why do I always sabotage my relationships?

There’s a guy that I’m into and he has told me he loves me. We started off dating, and I’ve known him now for four months. But I haven’t told him I love him back, even tho I do. I push him away, and I get distant half the time we’re together.

I don’t want to get attached because then it’ll hurt when he leaves. Everyone leaves eventually.
What is wrong with me?

1323

Most Helpful Guys

• Are your parents together? Probably it's a bad model from your parents. Not all relationships fall apart. My parents are pretty old and live together rather in balance.

• My dad passed away before I was born. And my mom left me at my grandmas when I was 12 and just never came back.

• Turn you brain on. You are sabotaging your relationship because of your past experiences.

• Sure. But that still has nothing to do with overcompensating.

• Look at your past: someone obviously made you feel abandoned, and so you live in fear of losing anyone - to the point that you'd rather not have anyone than risk losing them. But you can't have success unless you're willing to risk losing - and, yes, sometimes you'll lose, but you'll survive and move on.

Anyway, what you're doing/feeling is fairly common, especially for girls who have lost (or never had) their father/father figure, but it could be anyone in your life. The answer is the same, though: you have to risk to win.

Most Helpful Girls

• It can be a coping mechanism. Maybe you have been hurt badly, betrayed and/or traumatized in the past and you don't want it to happen again. That's completely normal.
    Talk to your partner, explain how you have been feeling lately. Do it in baby steps, you don't have to tell everything at once. Start for example by "I'm sorry if I act so distant, I do care about you but I have a hard time showing it". I'm sure he'll understand. Don't lose hope about this, I'm rooting for you

• Same girl, same.
    Honestly you just have to let go at some point you have to let go and take the risk. Know that you do not need to fear attachment because you can choose whether to become attached or not using sense, knowledge and intelligence. If you’ve lost someone before and that’s the reason you have a fear of getting hurt then maybe consider councelling. Nothing is wrong with you. You’ve just got a fear of commitment and you recognise that which is a good start. You just need to work on yourself more💛