Why after 8 months does being cheated on still hurt?

I was cheated on by my ex boyfriend, who I dated for 1.5 years. He messed with my head so much, and I realize he was very emotionally and mentally abusive at times. He cheated on me. I tried to forgive him. I couldn’t, and he left me in the coldest way. He would try and message me from time to time. However, I have tried to move on. I have been in a very healthy and loving relationship for the past few months now. I am with someone who is everything I’ve ever dreamed of, and makes me never want to go back to my ex.

However, sometimes i find myself thinking about how I was cheated on. I think about the day I found out, and how I wish I had left sooner once things started to not feel right. The pain doesn’t hurt as much as when I first found out. But, it has been 8 months. I wish I could just care less about what happened! Maybe because a part of me blames myself, and wishes it didn’t end that way?

1224

Most Helpful Guys

• Things will hurt forever more if you don't lay them to rest. You have to find peace with what happened. That's how we process traumatic events. We remove the trauma from them so that our reaction to triggers isn't to lose our shit. When a memory is filed as being dealt with it is laid to rest. When it is kept as 'pending resolution' then it is always going to cause you problems.

• How do I make peace with something like this?

My first relationship was very abusive emotionally and physically. That took me about 1 year to lay to rest... :/ just one day it stopped bothering me. Do i have to wait for that day to come with this, too?

• You accept that you can't always control everything and that you are not always the reason why someone else acts like an asshole, nor can you necessarily do anything to prevent it. You can be the best looking, sweetest girl in the world and it still doesn't make you immune to cheaters and abusers.

You forgive yourself any perceived mistakes and you accept that you did your best. You accept that you were wronged and you accept that this was just a bad person. You lay it to rest that way. It can't be undone and you just waste your own time and energy living in the past. The biggest crime would be letting an abuser steal your future by keeping you stuck in the past.

• It's the fact that they made you feel like you weren't good enough. That's something that can hurt for years being made to feel like you're not good enough from someone you loved.

• Even before I found out he was cheating, he always made me feel hard to love.

• That's sad to hear. No one should be made to feel that way.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes its because he hurt you and left wounds in your heart and spirit - injuries take time to heal - they aren't like benign events that can disappear faster. Remember how your relationship is in comparison to your old relationship and carry that with you.

• Being betrayed hurts, and just like any other pain, it takes time to get over. It's been years since it happened to me and I'm in a loving relationship but I still find myself being suspicious and over analyzing things to make sure I don't get hurt again. I believe being betrayed that way alters you. It messes with your self esteem, makes you question how observant and alert you are, and makes you yearn for a chance to undo it somehow. It doesn't mean you aren't happy, you were just mislead and mistreated. You'll be okay though.