Is this a situationship and how do I prevent myself from being hurt ?

I have been dating a guy for 3 months , when we talk about our relationship status, we agreed to be exlusive and transparent, and also clarified that its possibly a short term ( he will not bring me to his parents ) because we are graduating soon and not sure if we can do long term.
However, we didn't talk about how long is this 'short term relationship' and didn't talk about the condition to terminate it ( which I assume it's when I graduate).
I want to know , if I keep my expectations low , will I be able to keep myself from being hurt? The only thing I worry is that we have to withdraw and rehab from each other later.

12