What does he want Post Break up? Is he wanting to get back together or is he just messing around with me? Should I even let him into my life again?

My ex-boyfriend broke up with me a couple of months ago. I finally got over him recently as my life was getting back to normal emotionally. He just recently snap chat messaged me asking me how things were going, what I've been up to, etc.. Instead of texting or calling, he snap chat messaged me. i would like to ask you guys if I should even go out to dinner with him as he stated he wanted to catch up. I don't want to get into an emotional wreck again. So here is the back story, the reason why we broke up was because I wanted to see him more than once a week and he stated he could not due to school and work. I even asked to compromise by stating I would visit him once a week while he visited me the 2nd time once a week or even alternating 1 week with 2 visits and 1 week with 1 visit. We were in a kind of long distance relationship where it would be a 45 min. drive to see each other. He did not want to compromise yet we had only been dating for a few months and I felt as though we were more like friends with benefits. I felt as though we were friends with benefits because we only recently got together after I told him I wanted us to slow down sexually as he was my 1st. After informing him, I wanted to slow down, he wanted to get into a relationship pretty quickly. Well after informing him of how I've been feeling and how he couldn't see me more than once a week, he broke up with me via text and told me he was sorry he could not give me more time. I was really heart broken. It took me a long time to pick up the pieces of my heart emotionally and now I don't want to get hurt again. I felt immediately attracted to him physically and emotionally when we were together, but I don't know if I should let him in again as I'm afraid I might fall or even worse get my heart broken again. Is it right I keep my distance and say no to dinner? Thanks everyone for any advice given.

01