Why is he suddenly so distant?

I had really thought my best friend and I were finally close to getting together. We spent our weekends together, I went to his family dinners, and he would text/call me all day from when we got up until one of us said good night. But a few weekends ago I told him I wanted to hang out because we had both been busy and hadn't seen each other in a week. He told me he would see and then made plans with two other girls we hang out with.
I was somewhat upset, and the next weekend the same thing happened. I decided that I would start making time for other friends and he has been upset that I am unavailable when he calls me to go to a movie with like 30 mins notice. He barely talks to me now and doesn't seem to care that I have have been hanging out with a guy from work lately (usually he has lots of snide remarks, he barely even blinked) .
His birthday was in the middle of the week last week and I went by his house to surprise him, after not seeing him for almost a month. He only talked about what he has been doing with the other girls he's been hanging out with and didn't seem to care when I left after less than an hour. I also bought him this shirt he saw online and I found someone to make it. He barely tried on and normally would have at least posted a pic about, but he didn't even send me a follow up text (he has for anything I get him), though he did thank me in person. I know he's not dating/interested in the other girls, but I don't understand why he's suddenly so distant?

01