Are humans meant to date?

Are humans meant to date?

Do you think we are meant to be together? To fall in love and dedicate ourselves to one man/woman? Look at the animal kingdom. Most animals do not date and instead have meaningless casual sex. Do you think the same applies to people? Our society used to shun casual sex. Of course people slept around and stuff throughout human history but I don't think it was as common as it is now, and dating always was put before casual sex. But now, we see dating among young people dying. Young people don't date. It's all just sex. Lots of sex with many different people. I think people now (thanks to Liberals) can behave the way they want without "breaking" social norms. And as a result we see the death of monogamy and meaningful relationships. So this makes me ask the question - were humans meant to date? Are relationships unnatural? I think modern "datng" kinda proves that maybe humans never wanted to date/marry but society forced them to.

What do you think?
  • Yes we are!
  • No we aren't!
  • No comment!
    Vote C

1725

Most Helpful Girls

• It's said that originally we were a polygamous species. So I don't think it was dating more so than find someone that you liked and if they liked you as well you would bang (and the more, the merrier).

But clearly humans have the capacity for forming relationships through getting to know others (similar to other animals). So I don't see why humans should refrain from it.

• But people do not value sex and spend their youth fucking dozens of people.

• Some people do. Talk to quite a few guys on here who are doing it now and have done it when younger.

• My favorite animals are the ones that mate for life. Like penguins and gibbons. They have their priorities straight.

The rate that people are making babies in these monogamous relationships is alarming and we're over populating the Earth already. The original purpose of having sex with as many partners as possible was to make as many descendants as possible, which would ruin the Earth. While nowadays humans have sex because of pleasure, not because of procreation. So they can't really be compared with most other species of animals. But I guess it would be better for the planet if people just had safe sex with whoever and never settled down and made children.. 🤷🏼

• Agreed with everything until the pleasure part, there is nothing wrong with having sex for pleasure, Aslong as you aren't whoring around, why else would we have sexual nerves? Should we become mormons and only have sex to reproduce? No way! Sex can be a very beautiful and loving thing, and to say having sex for pleasure is bad, is quite absurd there is nothing wrong with partaking in pleasure with your partner, it's a very intimate moment.

• I cannot change that but for me and all the people I've been with, it's been an intimate thing.

• I didn't say there was anything wrong with having sex for pleasure. That's the only reason I personally have sex. I don't plan on ever having children.

Most Helpful Guys

• Most humans (Like 95% of women and 40% of men) were meant to sleep with each other more or less whenever they want to. Monogamy was invented so the other 5% of women and 60% of men wouldn't feel bad because no one would ever EVER love them, so they could just pretend like someone would and force each person to be with one other partner forever, even though attractive men and most women were having fun sleeping around before.

• Exactly. Most women are very promiscuous.

• Actually, in this theory it would be men who are very promiscuous. The women are just willing to share the promiscuous partners.

• Eh... a lot of animals don't just have casual sex. It varies by species. A better question is whether or not monogamy is appropriate for our species.

If you take a look at the cultures in the world, we have a lot of variation, but marriage is one common factor among nearly all of them. Religion, culture, politics, etc. don't seem to affect the fact that people pair up all over the world. That says to me that we are supposed to be monogamous.

Also, while it may escape your perhaps limited experience, the fact still remains that half of all American adults (regardless of age) are married. It's reasonable to assume a good chunk of people who aren't married are in committed relationships. So, at any given point in time there are many more people with partners than without. That's another data point that suggests to me we're wired to be monogamous.

• Then why does everyone fuck hundreds of people and don’t value sex or anything?

• A lot of people around you may be doing that, but by and large most people in the world don't.