Small talk... how to be successful, initiate it & turn it into something more?

In some situations, small talk is easy for me to do, usually about things I like, or know about, hobbies etc.
But as soon as there's no real conversation or talking going on, I have no idea what to say, ask, bring up, etc. Then as that happens I start trying to think more & more, the start freaking out a little saying to myself "think of something, it's so awkward, it's not hard just say something" or something along those lines.

So are there any like small talk topics that will just work that aren't generally boring, or overused?

Or do you just have any tips or experience in how to initiate & successfully execute small talk - as in it makes the other person interested, or leads to a more "serious" type conversation?

Not sure if i'm really explaining this very well - but I think you should get the idea.

Thoughts appreciated.

23

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• If you see the conversation isn't going much further, find a nice way to exit. I was at a function last night and i was talking to two ladies. After the small talk was over, I just said that I'm heading over to the food to get some dessert.

• If I did that, i'd be accepting unless I randomly bump into them again, I wouldn't be talking to them again at all that night.