Is this a red flag to an abusive relationship?

I’ve been dating this guy for quite some while.

Whenever we get in an argument, he always leaves. I find that so annoying and frustrating, when we have an issue I want to solve it, not have him yell at me back for a while then leave. Like literally he’ll just leave. I was at his apartment, we got in an argument and he just walked out the door. In his own house. I had to stay there for 2 hours until he got back because I didn’t want to leave it unlocked.

Well, I casually asked him about it today. He said, that his anger “have gotten the best of him” many times before, and that if he stays and gets angry enough he’s scared he’ll do something he regret. Now, is this a red flag?

What I got from that was that he was afraid he’d hurt me. And now I’m kinda scared about that too? Like he’s the most caring person ever he’s so cute I can’t imagine him ever hitting me. But like I just don’t know what to do... Is this like the beginning of an abusive relationship? Should I leave him? Help please

P. S: I should also probably mention that he obviously has a bit of anger issues, he told me it was more of a problem when he was a teen but boxing helps him managing it.

12