Boyfriend doesn't remember our anniversaries. Any personal advice from people who have been in long relationships?

My boyfriend never takes me out/remembers our anniversaries. We've been together for 3 years now, and I just wish we went to lunch or dinner to celebrate it. And, if I "remind him" and we talk about it, he'll definitely take me out. The problem is, I want the idea to come from him. It'll mean more if he spontaneously surprised me.

I don't feel TERRIBLY bad, because we're both busy college students. But I've seen so many cute anniversary celebrations on tumblr, instagram, etc. I know he appreciates being with me, but we've been going out on dates less and less compared to the beginning of our relationship.

Also, if I bring this up to him, he'll say "well, you didn't surprise me or take me out either! It's not just my anniversary."

1662

Most Helpful Guys

• Put a calendar on the wall and write in caps that it is the anniversary date.

• I laughed hard at this! hahahha That's a great idea!!! Thank you!

• No problem- hope it works!

• Well one, he does have a point, what have you done to surprise him? I'm not saying you have to, not saying you should but do consider that next time you feel bad about him not doing anything special for you (yes some times guys want to feel special). Two, not everyone is good with dates, I personally can't remember much if any of them as time tends to blur for me (I've actually had it where I worked half a day, saw the date and it took me several minutes to figure out why that date was important (turned out it was my birth day). So that's also something to consider (also being a busy college student I'm guessing he is busy and poor so again, I wouldn't anticipate much given the circumstances). As long as he is a good guy the rest of the year (which if he isn't, why would you be with him?) then I would say let it slide or just remind him a couple of weeks in advance.

Most Helpful Girls

• The thing is, he may not realise that's what you want. Not celebrating it doesn't mean a lack of care, it could simply mean he plans on long term.

• If he actually planned long term, then maybe he would have something planned beforehand...

• No, because some people plan longer than three years. Its not a true anniversery, its just fake people who celebrate it because they are getting closer to the end 😂😂

• If he forgot your wedding anniversary that would be one thing but the anniversary of your first date or first kiss is not something you should be worried about. Some people just aren't good with dates. How he treats you on a regular day says far more about your relationship then how he treats you on some appointed "special day." All those days after are what made your relationship what it is. Try to focus on that instead of focusing on the highlights of someone else's relationship. You don't see their low points.