A French woman and a Korean man... We are too weird?

I'm afraid of his culture. 🤦😔

29

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are talking about a Korean man, born and raised in Korea, then you need to understand that it is a male dominated culture. You will likely be expected to meet his needs, and he will not see a need to help you with anything around the house. He will also likely make all the decisions for the home. You will also be expected to be deferential to his mother, and take care of her. That is the traditional male Korean, and still pretty much the average way Korean men see it. If you are talking about a Korean man born or raised in another country, then it can be quite different.

• It's as I feared. He was born and raised in Korea but has lived in Paris for a few years. He's a bit traditional and that worries me.

• Asker: You need to be very clear about his expectations. I know some Korean people well, and have been to Korea. The culture is mostly male dominated, and I don't mean dominated as in America male dominated. They are very friendly, very nice and gracious people. I liked them a lot. But their cultural expectations for marriage can differ a lot from ours. Each person is an individual, so I don't want to paint every Korean the same, because some do have a more modern lifestyle in marriage, and some quite willingly share in household duties, But many others don't at all, and will expect you to be subservient.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nah.
    Être en couple avec quelqu'un c'est également accepter de découvrir sa culture. Ne Sois pas effrayée il ny a pas de raison, même si , je te l'accorde, ça peut paraître impressionnant étant donné que la culture coréenne est très différente de la française. Mais si ton partenaire est là il devrait t'aider à justement découvrir cet aspect de sa vie tout comme toi lui faire découvrir une partie de la tienne. :)
    Je vous souhaite bonne chance à tout les deux

• *traduction*
      Nah.
      Being in a relation with someone is also to discover his culture. Don't be too afraid there no reasons to be even if it could appear as intimidating since the korean and French culture are quite different. But if your partner is here , he should help you to discover this aspect of his life as you do the same for him. :)
      I wish you two good luck

• Merci 😘

• Noodlee: Actually, being in a relationship with someone is not to discover his culture. Dating is very different, from what actually takes place in a marriage, and in a home, just as dating is different from marriage in the west. If you don't spend a lot of time around him and his family, you will not understand the requirements and nuances of expectations. At least, not when it comes to Koreans. For instance, you may not pick up on the fact that his mother will expect you to care for her in ways a western mother would never expect.