Is he lying to get out of our lunch? Need urgent advice?

Okay so there's this guy I've had feelings for and a day ago I asked him if he was free to go out for lunch. He said yes within minutes and we made plans. We even adjusted the plans on the morning of our lunch meaning he was still okay with going right? Then a few hours before our plans he texted me to cancel and reschedule. He said he had this family emergency and couldn't come anymore. I understand that but I have this gut feeling that his lying about the real reasons. Why? I don't know. But I do know that his friends are going out at the same time as we were supposed to. So could he be lying to me about why he can't come?

Also I then texted him my number so that I could do what I was going to do in person through text. He hasn't replied yet. Was that a mistake? Should I be taking these events as red flags?

01