How do you guys do it?

I'm having a bit of a moment of weakness here.

I've recently turned 24 and am still a virgin. I had a girlfriend for about 2 months, 6 years ago and the last time I got anywhere intimate with a girl was about 4 years ago. I'm not sure if it was because I had to take on responsibilities and didn't socialize much, or had my nose in the books too much.

I just recently started graduate school after basically being under a rock for 2 years solely focusing on working 50+ hours of work a week to make sure my mother and sisters were in a good place before I left.

I'm into my 4th week in a new city, etc. I don't like going out to drink, I don't like the idea of hooking up with girls, I just want to date and meet a nice girl. If I meet one, another guy from class kinda swoops in, hooks up with her, and then I'm left feeling like how I don't want to be a sloppy second.

Am I too slow to approach? Should I ask a girl out when I'm even remotely interested? I've been trying to get to know them a bit more before asking them out, but then something happens. One girl I was talking to, we were getting along great. We went to a party together. I left early cause I was just mentally fazed out. Then I wake up the next morning and she and my roommate are leaving his bedroom together.

I just feel so far behind in the dating scene and its frustrating to try and figure out what I'm supposed to do to get someone interested in me.

01