Can high school relationships last after college?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years and 4 months. He is in college and I am in high school for my last year. He is so busy he doesn’t think he has time for a relationship with me. I mean I understand cause I have school and band and he has college that comes with classes, activities, and friends. He is probably so overwhelmed about also having a relationship. His first week at college we texted a good 10 texts the whole week, probably because he thought it was going to be easier. He told me the first couple days were bad with us not talking but then he said he was okay because he was busy. We have talked about breaking up and he almost went through with it because of the lack of talking and how hard it was. I was pushing him tho a lot the whole week I was like are you going to break up with me, I think you’re going to break up with me, etc. We almost didn’t even see each other yesterday when he got home and it was kind of different, every time we brought it up I cried or I pushed. We have talked about how if we did, and after we get out of college if we meet up how we would both be open to it. I asked unlike his other girlfriends would I be a mistake and he said far from it, but he is being distant and I don't know if that is because he’s taking it day by day or what I don't know. I love him and I know he loves me but I don't know what to do.

1427

Most Helpful Guys

• It's possible, but it's definitely a longshot. Only two couples I know of made it to marriage from high school relationships. Both couples are still married today.

• Probably because of many obstacles they have overcome

• A couple with one but they never broke up.

• I thought so... but it's not as easy as you think. Love or no love.
    I hate to say it but it sounds to me like he has other girls he's interested in and probably views you as a "kid" now.
    Maybe it's time to move on for a while. If you're both still in love you can always get back together later.

• Wym kid?

• It just happens. Even though you are only a year or two apart, when you're in college and your girlfriend is still in HS, it just seems that way. You're surrounded by older girls who are doing things none of the girls (usually) were doing in HS, partying with them among other things, just a lot of adult stuff going on that doesn't happen much in HS.
      You don't mean to, but you just see high school people as kids when you are in college. It causes a lot of relationships to go bad.

Most Helpful Girls

• Mostly relationships from high school don’t last. College life can be busy. It’s so different from what you’re used to. You both will change and have to find a way to still see each other. As long as you both put in the effort that it needs, you two might make it. But only few succeed.

• We are taking it day by day but he’s getting distant but I think I’m pushing him while I keep bringing it up instead of being in the moment

• Thank you we are going to take things day by day

• You’re welcome! 😊

• Break up. It sounds like he wants to, but you're pushing him in the opposite direction. So he's slowly detaching himself from you.

You should break up before your contrasting desires actually start effecting your relationship and view of one another. Most highschool relationships don't work out after highschool.

Ik it's hard and it hurts, but I garuntee ignoring what he wants will just exacerbate the problem. If he thinks it's time, don't advise him differently. There's other people out there. Just let him go.