Girl is too shy to do more than kiss, what should I do?

I have been seeing a girl for a couple of months, and we always have a great time when we are together.
However, I have a problem which is that progress seems to have halted in terms of the physical/sexual acts she is comfortable to do together.

At first we would just hug hello and goodbye. Then we progressed to holding hands, and I would kiss her on the cheek. After about a month we started kissing on the lips, although she always kept her lips closed.

For the past month basically there has been no progression. I tried a few times to move to the next step by initiating a french kiss (ie tongue on tongue), but she always kept her lips together. Eventually I asked her why this was, and she said she finds the idea of another person''s saliva unhygienic.

I was trying to think of how to progress to the next level, so the other day we were hugging, and I slid my hand down her back and touched her butt. She immediately became very tense, so I took my hand away and asked if she liked it. She simply said "I'm shy". We went back to hugging and she relaxed. So I began slowly sliding my hand up towards her boob. She stopped my hand and said "Not there". I also tried kissing her on the neck but again she looked uncomfortable and said she was shy.

Therefore I am not sure what to do next. I really like this girl, but I don't think I could be happy in a relationship with someone who would never want to do more than kiss. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do to make her feel comfortable to be more intimate?

Are there any girls out there who used to feel this way, but then became more comfortable? If so, did this just suddenly happen one day? Or was there something a guy did to make your feelings change?

I am slightly worried that she may simply not find me hot enough to feel any chemistry. But I thought I would see if there are any other ideas I can try before resorting to this explanation :)

20