What is he thinking here?

My boyfriend and I went to a corporate picnic his company was having. I wasn't crazy about the idea because I'd have to take off work for it and we've only had a few dates, but he said he really wanted my support because his ex (from a different department) was going to be there. He told me how they dated for three years and during that time she'd kept emasculating him, calling him names, and being a "controlling she-bitch" until he left her. Anyway... he sees her there and tells me he doesn't want me talking to her. Okay... I figure she's some psycho ex and shrug it off. I wound up in line for drinks near her, and somebody points me out to her and the fact that I'm dating him now. She blinks surprised, and says "good luck with that" and kind of laughs. I was already on the defensive, expecting her to make a lot of cheap shots about him, so I told her that he's been wonderful to me. She smirked and said, "that was never his problem." I asked what was. She kind of smiled and said, "He's just not an honest guy. He lied - a LOT - to me; and in the end, I just I couldn't trust him. But, hey, maybe he'll do better with you." And walked off. When I got back to the table, my boyfriend kept hounding me trying to get exactly what she said and I said. When I told him nothing happened, he seemed kind of... angry? She didn't seem as bitchy as he made her out to be. Now, I'm kind of wondering about him. He spent most of the day talking about his ex; kept apologizing 'for her'? What do you think happened here? Is this a red flag that he won't be honest with me?
I'm also kind of concerned about the anger there. Why would he be angry if nothing happened? And why does he keep thinking something DID happen? I mean, he spent at least half of the event talking about/avoiding her and kind of ditched me at the party.

12