What is he thinking here?

My boyfriend and I went to a corporate picnic his company was having. I wasn't crazy about the idea because I'd have to take off work for it and we've only had a few dates, but he said he really wanted my support because his ex (from a different department) was going to be there. He told me how they dated for three years and during that time she'd kept emasculating him, calling him names, and being a "controlling she-bitch" until he left her. Anyway... he sees her there and tells me he doesn't want me talking to her. Okay... I figure she's some psycho ex and shrug it off. I wound up in line for drinks near her, and somebody points me out to her and the fact that I'm dating him now. She blinks surprised, and says "good luck with that" and kind of laughs. I was already on the defensive, expecting her to make a lot of cheap shots about him, so I told her that he's been wonderful to me. She smirked and said, "that was never his problem." I asked what was. She kind of smiled and said, "He's just not an honest guy. He lied - a LOT - to me; and in the end, I just I couldn't trust him. But, hey, maybe he'll do better with you." And walked off. When I got back to the table, my boyfriend kept hounding me trying to get exactly what she said and I said. When I told him nothing happened, he seemed kind of... angry? She didn't seem as bitchy as he made her out to be. Now, I'm kind of wondering about him. He spent most of the day talking about his ex; kept apologizing 'for her'? What do you think happened here? Is this a red flag that he won't be honest with me?
Updates:
I'm also kind of concerned about the anger there. Why would he be angry if nothing happened? And why does he keep thinking something DID happen? I mean, he spent at least half of the event talking about/avoiding her and kind of ditched me at the party.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• I think that you never know what the ex's motivation was or whether she's honest. One of my exes often accused me of things that I didn't do but she did. So I certainly wouldn't believe her just based on what she said.

However, you have been alerted to a potential problem with him and so I think it would be wise to pay attention a little more than you might otherwise do to see whether she was in fact telling the truth about him frequently not telling the truth.

In other words, I wouldn't do anything about your relationship unless you yourself start seeing lying from him, but you should be on the lookout for that for a while until you're confident that she was wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the relationship ended badly they are bound to mainly remember the negatives of each other. Don't look too much into it but just keep an eye out for lies

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• One thing i’ve learned in my 27 years on this earth: Where there’s smoke...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes