How can I get guys to ask me out on food dates instead of drink and coffee dates?

It seems like every guy online tries to push for a drink or coffee date, which I don’t like for a number of reasons. One being that it shows a lack of strong interest that you’d opt for a “quick and easy date” and that you’re probably not too invested in me given that guys who are truly invested will do their best to be around you for as long as possible. The other reason being that I am a big foodie and don’t like to drink alcohol or coffee that much. I immediately stop talking to guys who make such suggestions since there clearly is a compatibility issue.

After I told one guy it was my birthday, his immediate response was, “let’s go for a birthday drink or coffee”. Come on, really? Not even I would do that. I’d invite someone I’m interested in out to dinner on his birthday! Even if it’s a random platonic friend, I’d take them out to eat.

519

Most Helpful Guys

• you meet on line - they only know what you've wanted him to know. there are a LOT of phonies out there. there's no way any guy with experience - who earns his own $ - is willing to drop $50-$75 on a dinner date if there's a possibility she's a phony. (this is a 2-way street, by the way.)
    meet for coffee or snack. there will be a dinner date if there's something "there." if not, consider the signals you're putting out there and figure out how to get to step 2.

• I’ve met plenty of older guys with professional careers and dating experience who dropped more than the amount you mentioned on a first date. Perhaps because they knew I was a real person and had been communicating with them for a long time? Or perhaps because they know that dating is a gamble? Who knows. But, the point is that these guys who invited me to dinner seemed to be more interested in seriously dating me than the guys who opted for drinks. That’s why I correlate interest level to the effort made on planning the date.

• To me it wouldn’t make a difference if it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As long as it shows effort.

• Can't speak for all guys but it's kind of an mutual interest thing for me. Like when I asked girls out for drinks, my rationale for it was that I wasn't sure she was that interested in me. Just offering to go out for drinks seemed like a blur between "friendly hanging out and dating" as opposed to, say, a romantic boat ride in a park followed by a fancy dinner.

So if I got the feeling a girl might not be that interested in me and I might have to work up her interest towards me, I'd pick a more casual kind of "easy date", not putting much pressure on her for anything more than some drinks and company, but with the hope that spending such time together might lead to something a bit more like a real date.

Meanwhile if a girl was very flirty and I was pretty sure she was as into me as I was into her, I'd go for a bolder kind of "real date".

• So for me the main way to avoid getting me to take the easy-going path of just inviting a girl for drinks, the way to counter that is to really show a lot of obvious signs of interest towards me. Then I might go for something much more romantic, much less casual, that's really going to work towards something a whole lot more intimate.

• But even for the invites to drinks, I'll pay for the drinks. I'll just pay for everything. I insist (because I found most girls like when I do).

• I kind of admire guys who go Dutch because I've seen them give a very solid rationale that if you invite a friend or acquaintance to a place with hope of nothing more, it's normal to go Dutch. So why change the rules for a date? But my whole perspective to dating is really different -- it's nothing like friendship. I'm trying to impress the girl. More often than not I like her more than she likes me at first, since I asked her out. I picked her out. I chose her completely freely, to her I'm just one among potentially multiple suitors. So I want to maximize my probability of impressing her, and I haven't found a case where a girl is impressed by a guy going Dutch. She might not care about it but it certainly seems to be on the safe side to just pay -- she'll either be impressed or not care so much either way as I see it. And likewise I'm not like, "Uhh, where do you want to go?" which is something I could do with a friend, but for girls on dates I *lead*.

Most Helpful Girl

• You expect someone you met online, who you've never met before, to be seriously invested in you? Enough to invest good time and money into?

Nah. I prefer quick and low key first dates. We're just getting to know each other, after all. If it goes well, we can do dinner for a second date maybe.

• You have a point, but then how do you explain why some guys are indeed willing to go for lunch or dinner dates? I just think it lets you know where you stand.

• Maybe they don't get matches often and want to hook the girl (may be "invested," or may be desperate). Or maybe they just have money to burn. Either way, I don't think you should fault the guy for it.

• I agree fully with you, a first date should be as casual as possible, and if things work out for both, then a dinner is mostly for a second date