Racist dad against inter racial dating?

I have a slightly racist father. In my family we are half Latino and half white American. And my dad has a tinge of racism.

I started talking to this black guy and we seem to hit it off and he wants to meet my parents. I’m not completely sure if I want to seriously date this guy yet so I don’t want to cause any issues or put him in an awkward position if im not even sure it’s going anywhere yet.

But in the future I don’t really even know how I would handle something like this. I know it’s not my dads decision who I date. I also no that my dads feelings are based off the very bad people he has had to deal with who happened to be mostly people of color whether they were Hispanics or blacks.

But I’m attracted to a whole spectrum of ethnicities and I don’t want to have to stunt my options of preferences just because I also want the approval of my family.

Any advise? Racist dad against inter racial dating?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Interracial dating the majority of the time just causes problems specifically if a black person is involved...

Black people are most disliked people around the world and if you bring that dude to your father's living room there will be tension and your father will mostly likely give him dirty looks or just kick him out his house.

0|0
    1|1
    • Just because other people don’t like it doesn’t mean I should rule the out any particular race even though I am attracted to them.

• I'm just telling you be prepared to be kinda split from your inner family if you decide to bring a black dude into the picture...

• I see your point. Nothing wrong with being prepared

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're living at home I would hold off on dating people your parents dont approve of just to make it easier on you and the person you're dating. But if you're out on your own date who ever you like but let them know about your family early on so they aren't surprised if it ever arises. If it becomes an issue then, explain to him why it's wrong and that just because he's a racist doesn't mean you are.

0|0
    0|0
    • That makes a lot of sense. I guess until I move out that would be a good idea

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• I'd hazard a guess that he would eventually accept a guy that is stable and has his life together and treats you well.

0|0
    0|0
    • You're Right that you shouldn't bring a guy to meet your parents if you aren't sure About him- only bring him once you're in the relationship and confident that it will last.

• Show All
    • Good point. And you’re right if I were to find someone who takes good care of me and has the same standards as me race/ethnicity wouldn’t really matter. It’s just hard to beat stereotypes I guess...

• It is. I've dealt with some racist parents myself, and really the best you can hope for is grudging acceptance.

• It might not his decision, but your dad knows that he can influence your decision.

1|0
    0|0
    • he definitely can and thats why its so hard. i dont want to live my llife souly to please my parents. i just hate disappointing them. But i also have my own life to live and my own ideas

• You might want to let it slip that some of your guy friends are black. Another time, that some of the black guys are cute. Another time, that you might want to date one some time. Doing it piecemeal, gives him time to adjust to the idea, and it also gives you a way of testing the waters about how he feels, without first going all out, and saying you want to date a black guy, or are dating a black guy. Hopefully, you will find him more open minded than you think, but you can't count on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Love is love. If you like this guy you should give him a chance. When my uncle was my age he was dating a Chinese woman. Her parents didn't approve of him at all. They wanted her to date Chinese guys exclusively. Eventually they got married. Her parents didn't want anything to do with her. A few months later they had a baby boy named Ryan. Her parents took one look at their new grandson and realized they made a mistake. From then on they would often babysit Ryan and his younger brother Sam that was born a few years later. I know it doesn't work for everybody and my opinion is purely anecdotal. I'm just saying if you like someone, you should give it a chance because you'll never know what happens if you don't try.

1|0
    0|0
  • What color is your dad?

0|0
    0|0
  • Given the divorce rates for interracial marriages I as a dad would advise against interracial dating as well.

0|0
    0|1
  • im with your dad, you're latino date your race ffs, we blacks dont need you taco folks

0|0
    2|2

What Girls Said 3

• There’s no such thing as slightly racist. Either you’re racist or you’re not. Your dad should know better than to be racist. If that man treats you good then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Love knows no race. I think your relationship is a symbol of beauty

1|0
    0|0
  • Ignore everything he tells you.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes