Racist dad against inter racial dating?

I have a slightly racist father. In my family we are half Latino and half white American. And my dad has a tinge of racism.

I started talking to this black guy and we seem to hit it off and he wants to meet my parents. I’m not completely sure if I want to seriously date this guy yet so I don’t want to cause any issues or put him in an awkward position if im not even sure it’s going anywhere yet.

But in the future I don’t really even know how I would handle something like this. I know it’s not my dads decision who I date. I also no that my dads feelings are based off the very bad people he has had to deal with who happened to be mostly people of color whether they were Hispanics or blacks.

But I’m attracted to a whole spectrum of ethnicities and I don’t want to have to stunt my options of preferences just because I also want the approval of my family.

Any advise? Racist dad against inter racial dating?

48

Most Helpful Guy

• Interracial dating the majority of the time just causes problems specifically if a black person is involved...

Black people are most disliked people around the world and if you bring that dude to your father's living room there will be tension and your father will mostly likely give him dirty looks or just kick him out his house.

• Just because other people don’t like it doesn’t mean I should rule the out any particular race even though I am attracted to them.

• I'm just telling you be prepared to be kinda split from your inner family if you decide to bring a black dude into the picture...

• I see your point. Nothing wrong with being prepared

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're living at home I would hold off on dating people your parents dont approve of just to make it easier on you and the person you're dating. But if you're out on your own date who ever you like but let them know about your family early on so they aren't surprised if it ever arises. If it becomes an issue then, explain to him why it's wrong and that just because he's a racist doesn't mean you are.

• That makes a lot of sense. I guess until I move out that would be a good idea